Chapter 5

"Breakfast"

Nanay had prepared her kids favorite- hot dog and egg with "sinangag" or fried rice.

"Filipinya... Spud... Tatay... Wake up! Wake up! Breakfast!"

Spud, first heard the call, he wakes up, rubs his eyes open, and is hungry. "Ate, wake up...

breakfast time, and no school today, all play! Tatay... Tatay...

"Hmmn... what?"

"Good morning po, Nanay is calling us for breakfast."

Tatay was groggy but tried to wake up, "Ahhh... Okay, maya, maya.... I'll follow."

Filipinya and Spud walked downstairs and saw the breakfast table .

"Wow, thanks Nanay!"

"Your favorite?"

Spud replied, "Yes, Nanay."

Filipinya and Spud kiss their Nanay's cheek and greet her "Magandang umaga po".

"Magandang umaga to the both of you, where's your Tatay?"

"He's awake, I think. Tatay!?" Five minutes pass, but Tatay is still in the room.

"Nanay, I'm so hungry! I am starving!" says Spud.

Nanay stands up to wake up Tatay, but Filipinya stopped her.

Holding Nanay's one hand, "I'll get him up."

Filipinya goes to Tatay's bed and jumps on his chest and says to his face,

"Tatay... Tatay...earth to Tatay!"

"Hmmn...what?"

"Breakfast time, we're all hungry!"

"I'm tired, Pinya. I didn't get much sleep last night. Mamaya na ako."

"But Tatay..."

"Go ahead, I need 30 more minutes sleep."

Filipinya stands up and said, "Okay Tatay, I'll be back! I love you."

Nanay asks, "So is he coming now?"

"Uhmmn... he said, mamaya na".

"Haist! Let's all eat."

Nanay tries to dish up her food, but Filipinya touches her hand.

"Nanay, (holding Nanay's hand with fork) we haven't prayed yet."

"Why? We're not all here."

Filipinya responds, "We still need to pray before eating."

Nanay smiles, you are right, Pinya, "Dear Father in heaven, thank you for this food that we are about to receive, and all of our many blessings, Amen."

Just then, Tatay walked in the room with legs bent and neck and head up high, arms flapping under his arm pits like wings. "Cluck, cluck, cluck...cluuuuuuck....balk, balk, balk baaaaaaalk! Where are my chickies?"

The kids sprang up from their chairs and ran away from Tatay, who pursued in his chicken walk. "Come here, my little chicks, come here!"

"No, save us Nanay from the Rooster! Save us!" said Filipinya. The kids ran around the house and upstairs, as the Tatay Chicken was slowed by his body actions.

"I am going to tickle your kili-kili, little chickies!"

The kids screamed and kept their distance from the silly rooster.

"Cock-a-doodle-do! You are my chickies, and I will always take care of you!"

Chasing Filipinya around the table, she stumbled and by the time she stood up, Tatay Rooster scooped her up in one arm. "I got you little chickie!" Her face pressed against his armpit.

"Ewwww! Rooster, your armpit smells like suka! (vinegar) Go take a shower!"

Nanay laughed, but interrupted their play time, "Come on Tatay, take off your wings. Spud, come on, let's eat.

They all passed the dishes of food and began eating.

Then, Nanay brought out a special plate of food- fried chicken feet!

Everyone paused for a second and then started to laugh.

Tatay asked, "Nanay, how did you...why did you...?"

She winked at him, smiled and gave him a big hug. "I love you Tatay- and I will never cut off your feet!" 

The truth is that Nanay loved Tatay for so many reasons. But at the top of the list is that Tatay Santos loved to play with their children and do activities with them. She knew how important a father's involvement and play time with the kids was for their growing up, and that they will always remember these fun times.

"Tatay, where did you learn to be a Rooster?" asked Filipinya.

"That's a great question for your Lolo some other day, Pinya," he said with a laugh and a smile.

Tatay suddenly craves for his favorite halo-halo. "Hmmm. I suddenly miss eating your special halo-halo Nanay, could you please make one for me tomorrow?"

Nanay then served a surprise for breakfast. She brought out four servings of Halo-Halo!

Filipinya declared, "Wow, Nanay, you are the best! Dessert for breakfast!"

"Yeah, Nanay, you rock!"

"I want mine with lots of milk please Nanay!",  said Spud.

"I want lots of banana, sweet potato, nata, kaong, corn, jellies, melon, monggo, and some rice krispies too Nanay!", said Filipinya.

"My daughter, you should've said you want a larger serving so you don't have to enumerate all the ingredients!" Tatay was laughing.

"My love, I just want my halo-halo to be simple yet special (just like you) - with leche flan and ice cream on top please", said Tatay.

"Yuck Tatay! It's too early for those cheesy moments! Just eat your halo-halo!", said Spud.