Chapter 24

At School

The new school on the hill overlooking the broad bay where the Enchanted River ends also serves as part of the emergency evacuation centers. The prevailing landscape is the standard tropical green mix of coconut, bamboo, narra, and talisay trees, mixed with lush bushes and plants. The skies are filled with bright white clouds nudging up against dark black storm clouds against the backdrop of magnificent blue skies, void of any pollution from factories or traffic. A few streams of smoke rise up from farmers burning to cook or clear their land.

The roosters welcome each morning with their chorus of "cock-a doodle-dos", and the screeching piglets and mama pigs join in later, followed by the little babies crying for their nanay's milk. Next come the sounds of the pump boats heading out to place their fishing nets, and the motorcycles beginning their daily transportation service. The visions and the sounds of the village near the Enchanted River are as routine as the stars and moon in the night sky.

Five days a week, nine months of each year, the kids also live out their routines at school.

One morning when the kids arrived at school, Filipinya said, "Let's go Spud, go to your line."

"OK, Ate."

"And be good in class, pay attention."

Filipinya and Spud go to their own lines, and the morning school activities start: the morning prayer, the National Anthem, and then the Philippines Pledge is about to start. Treet looks around for Coco, but he is not there.

"Pinya, have you seen Coco?"

Just then, Coco came running up, and the bell rang for the beginning of classes.

Coco saw the girls talking and Coco shouts, "Hoy! Pssst!" Some other students heard him and look at him.

"Ooopsss... sorry," and raises his right hand showing only his 2 fingers for "peace".

Filipinya and Treet saw Coco, and they all realized what the bell meant.

"Come on girls, don't be late to class!"

Filipinya is about to go into her classroom when her wallet fell down with her family picture inside. Her classmate picked it up and opened the wallet and took out her family picture.

"Hey give it back to me."

The other girl said, "Your wallet? Sure... here..."

Filipinya asked, "How about my family picture?"

"Oh... this one? I forgot," she laughed. "I will give it back to you if you will promise me one thing."

"What's that?"

"Since you are one of the best students, let me copy your answers on our History Periodical Exam."

A shocked Filipinya declared, "What!?"

"Why not? It is very simple, and I will turn this picture back to you after the exam."

Filipinya replied, "But I can't do that! And that picture is mine!"

"Sure you can!" as she pushed Filipinya, "If you don't want me to tear this picture! Unless... you don't care!"

Filipinya screamed, "No, please!"

"So, you'll let me copy?"

"But it's wrong, and you won't learn anything!"

"I will count to three, then start tearing, 1.... 2..."

"Wait, wait!"

The mean girl said, "Yes?"

"Ok, Ok, I... I... I will..." said Filipinya.

Coco overheard the confrontation came up from behind the girl, and grabbed the picture. "What are you doing?" he said to the mean girl.

Filipinya ran behind Coco.

The girl was silent and embarrassed.

Coco stated, "How about if we all talk to the Principal?"

The mean girl just walked away quietly.

Coco said to Filipinya, "Here, be careful of your wallet Pinya."

"Thank you Coco," she said with a big smile. "Thank you."

When Filipinya returned home from school that day, she told Nanay what happened.

"Oh, I am so sorry, Pinya. There will always be kids that want to cheat and cut corners. They don't realize that they are only hurting themselves. They think that cheating for good grades will help them, but it really hurts them. Imagine if they continue to cheat their whole lives. Where do you think they will end up? They are only cheating themselves."

Lolo heard the entire conversation, and added, "Listen to Nanay, Pinya. Even when I was in school some students cheated."

"They had schools back then, Lolo?" Filipinya joked.

"Very funny little girl. Yes, we all went to school, we had teachers, and chalk boards, and even books!"

"Oh, I thought you learned from stone tablets," Filipinya laughed.

"Come here, Pinya, time for the tickle machine! I will catch you!"

But Pinya was just a little too fast for Lolo and ran away outside.

"Oh that Pinya, where did she get that humor?" as Lolo breathes deeply, rests his arms on his sides, squints his eyes, and stares straight at Lola.