Chapter 12

"Fiesta"

The Villagers, and all Filipinos anticipated "Fiesta" each year to give thanks for their abundant crops and blessings throughout the year. Shoppers fill the noisy and crowded stores and street markets to prepare for the traditional feasts and celebrations.

Tatay selected and prepared the fattest pig, while Spud chased after a chicken. Of course he has yet to catch one, but he considered it a game. Filipinya and Nanay were out shopping for the food, when they saw Treet with her mom. "Hi Treet! What are you cooking later?"

Treet said, "We will be making chicken adobo and gulaman."

Filipinya said, "What else?"

Treet whispered, "That's all. My mom said we are on a tight budget so we will only be having a simple celebration for the fiesta."

Filipinya said boastfully, "Well, you know what? We will be having a grand celebration later. As a matter of fact, Tatay will be killing a pig and we will serve lots of chicken for the celebration. You all can come and join us for the salo-salo."

Treet's mom called her and said, "Treet, we need to go. Your grandmother is waiting for us."

Treet said goodbye to Pinya.

When Filipinya and Nanay were walking home, Nanay said, "Sweetie, what you did was wrong. I didn't like how you boastfully told Treet that we will be having a grand celebration. Not everyone is as fortunate as we are. She already told you that they were on a tight budget for this year's celebration yet you made her feel like you've got more that what they have. It's not appropriate. You should've told her that it's alright. What's important is they celebrate the fiesta with her whole family."

Filipinya said, "I am sorry Nanay, I understand. I will tell her I am really sorry."

Nanay said, "Thanks for understanding, Pinya. By the way, there will be parlor games and contests in the municipal gym later, your friends will be there so you should go."

"Do you need some help with the meals?"

"Lola and I have it handled, Pinya. And I will try to keep Tatay out of the kitchen," she smiled.

Family and visitors filled their house as they usually do for holidays and special occasions. There really was enough food for an army, and the delicious lunch seemed to never end.

At 4 pm, all the villagers began to gather at the municipal gym. The program is about to start. Treet, Spud and Filipinya just arrived when Coco approached them.

Coco said, "Pinya, there will be a singing contest after the parlor games. You should register!"

She hesitated, "I don't want to join the contest. I am not prepared".

Treet supported Filipinya, "It's ok Pinya. Believe in yourself. You can do it. Besides, I hear you practicing all the time." So, Filipinya decided to join the contest, because she liked to sing so much, even though singing did not like her.

The parlor games started, first palo sebo followed by hampas palayok, habulang baboy and agawang buko. None of Filipinya's friends wanted to join the palo sebo but the villagers were encouraging Treet to join since she has very long legs and arms. She can surely win the game. Out of peer pressure, Treet joined the game but unfortunately, she didn't win.

For the next game, Spud was so eager to join the game. Everybody was laughing at him. They were teasing him because he was too small and the villagers said that it's too impossible for him to hit the palayok. But Spud proved them wrong, hitting the palayok and winning first prize!

Next was the habulang baboy, and everybody wants to bring home the pig, so Filipinya, Spud, Treet, and Coco joined the game. As usual, it was nearly impossible to catch the pig because the mud is really slippery. During the last part of the game, only Filipinya and Treet remained, and Treet wanted the pig so much because she wanted to give it to her mom to make lechon. But Filipinya wanted to win also, and she was able to beat Treet.

Filipinya saw Treet sitting in the corner and very sad. She approached her and said, "This pig is for you. I am really sorry for what I said a while ago. I wanted this pig so bad so I could give this to you."

"Thank you so much Pinya, you don't know how much this means to me."

"You're welcome. We are best friends right? Now I need to go home and change my clothes. Look at me! The singing contest is about to start in 30 minutes."

Treet said, "Good luck, I know you can do it."

Pinya went home and changed her clothes. She wore a nice dress for the singing contest. She was practicing her song in the front of the mirror when Tatay came.

Tatay clapped his hands and told her that she did a great job.

Tatay hugged her, "Good luck, Pinya, always do your best. And have fun!"

When Pinya went back to the gym, her friends were waiting for her. Treet tried to work with Filipinya's messy hair and put on her lipstick.

The host called her name. "Filipinya Santos is the second performer." With butterflies in her stomach, Filipinya walked up on the stage and sang "Hanggang Ngayon" by Kyla. There were eight more contestants who gave their best performances for a variety of songs. From the nine, there would be five contestants to move on to the final round of the contest. Unfortunately, Filipinya didn't make the last round, as the competition was quite good.

Filipinya's friends were still happy with her performance and tried to cheer her up.

Coco said, "You know Pinya, it's all about your belief and sharing your talent. Your confidence and facial expression is amazing. You will find your voice some day. It's ok, we loved your performance". Even Spud gave her a hug. Filipinya smiled and thanked them all.

When the kids arrived home, Nanay and Tatay could see that Filipinya was sad.

"What's wrong, Pinya?" asked Tatay.

"Why can't I win, Tatay? I tried so hard!" she said with a tear running down her cheek.

Tatay picked her up and put her on his lap. "You have so many good qualities, Pinya. I know some day you will bloom, and you will sing with the best of anyone! Just keep practicing. Remember this day always and let it motivate you. In a couple of years, you can look back and smile, knowing that when you were young, you did your best. Others are trying their best also, you know. And they are older than you. Never give up, and you will reach your dreams!"

"Thank you Tatay. I will. I mean, I won't. I mean I will reach my dreams! I will sing on stage and win some day!"