Chapter 7

Becky had loved full moons long before she even knew werewolves existed. There was something soothing about it, like a shining pearl on a spread of dark velvet. When she learned about Seth, the full moon became a way she could connect with him as a wolf as well as a human, and she always did her best to help as much as she could: setting reminders on her phone, making sure his go-bag was well stocked, keeping an eye out for any humans nearby. Now they shared the full moon together and it was even better—or at least it would be once they got to the forest.

Normally on full-moon days, Seth was raring to go, counting down the minutes until whatever obligations he had were fulfilled and he was free to seek out the nearest wooded area and run to his heart's content. On this one, however, he seemed to be dragging his feet. He stayed late at Black & Brave, which was strange in itself; usually he was extra cautious around the full moon. Then he wanted to stop at his mother's house quickly before they headed to the forest to run—except her house was in the opposite direction and added nearly half an hour to their travel time. "I'll be super quick, I promise," he told Becky, kissing her before hopping out of the SUV and running up to the house.

Wanna shift, wanna run, wanna fuck. She wasn't even sure which order she wanted to do things in, and it didn't really matter. Spending the night with Seth doing all of those things was what mattered. Her life might not have ever been in true peril, but Becky definitely tried to appreciate every day more now. She was trying not to stare at the door—A watched door never opens , as Marek had told her more than once—but she kept glancing out the side window and she breathed a huge sigh of relief when Seth finally emerged, running down the front walk. Holly stood on the step and waved, so Becky waved back, hoping she didn't look irritated. Their relationship was much better now, but she didn't want to give Holly any reason to rekindle her initial dislike.

When she heard the liftgate open instead of the driver's door, Becky turned around. "Did we forget something?" she asked.

Seth was so startled that he jerked his head up and hit it on the hatch. "Fuck. Ow. Ow, ow, ow." He rubbed his head gingerly. "Sorry, what?"

"Are you okay?" Becky started to reach for her seat-belt buckle, but Seth waved her off. "I just asked if we forgot anything."

"No. Just had to pick something up from my mom." When he leaned down, Becky could only see the top of his head, but she could hear their bag being opened. "All good," he declared, ducking low under the hatch for good measure before shutting it and going to the driver's side. "Ready?"

"Definitely."

Between light traffic and some judicious speeding, they made up some time and still got to their favourite shifting spot before true dark. Becky was so eager to run that she hopped out of the SUV before it was in park and headed around to the back to get their bags, but Seth quickly intercepted her. "What's the rush?" he asked, grabbing both bags and kissing her. "The moon's not going anywhere."

"I know. I just want to run, that's all. I know we had the quick run when Dean and Roman were here," she added, "but that was more to show them my progress." Becky tilted her head back and smiled up at the luminous moon. "This is different. This is better."

"Agreed." Seth grabbed her hand and they started walking to their clearing. "I'm glad you look forward to the moon. Vida told me that a lot of newly turned werewolves dread it."

"I did at the start," Becky admitted, "maybe a little. But only because it made me wonder if I made the right choice. Now I know I did." She smiled up at him and tugged her hand away so she could start disrobing. She always had the urge to fling her clothes away with abandon, but she knew she would just have to gather them back up so they could be stowed away safely in the tree. Even with taking the time to fold her clothes, she was done before Seth had his jeans off. "Why are you taking so long?"