[ 008 ] a day of reunions.

CROOKED HEART.

chapter eight, a day of reunions.
[ season nine, episode seven and eight ]

ODESSA HASN'T LEFT ROSITA'S side since they returned with her and Aaron. Tara and Cori were both confused as hell. And Odessa and Jesus had been right, Tara ripped them both new ones.

She and Enid both declared that Rosita has a small head injury and is severely dehydrated. So, they put her on an IV.

During Odessa's dark times after her father's death, Rosita was one of the few who truly tried to get through to her. Rosita's always been there for Odessa. Even when they were still only strangers and barely knew each other.

Odessa feels like that's what they are now.

Strangers.

It's been years since Odessa has seen or spoken to anyone from Alexandria. She believed she could go the rest of her life without facing the demons that were housed in that community. She was mistaken. 

Enid sends Odessa home when night finally settles. Odessa tells the younger woman to come get her if anything happens. Enid nods.

When Odessa enters Barrington House, Jesus and Tara both sit on the stairs.

"How is she? Any change?" Jesus asks her as soon as he lays eyes on her.

"No, she's still out," Odessa responds. She comes to sit beside Jesus and Tara. "But she's gonna be okay. She's just dehydrated. I bandaged her head and Enid put her on an IV. Hopefully, she'll wake up by tomorrow."

"It was weird," Tara speaks up, "seeing her after all this time. Aaron, too." She then looks to Jesus and Odessa. "What we're you guys doing out there?"

"I was just walking and saw the flare." Odessa responds. "I had no idea what I'd find."

"I've been training him," Jesus tells the two. Odessa brows furrow. "Talking to him. Keeping the lines of communication open. Making sure they're still alive."

"To avoid being here?" Tara immediately asks.

"To try and get Alexandria on board with the fair," Jesus replies.

Odessa scoffs. "They're not going to, Jesus. You know this. Not with the way— not with the way they run things there now."

Jesus's eyes turn to her. "I can't accept that. You two shouldn't, either. It's important."

"Listen, everybody here is starting to notice how much you're gone." Tara tells Jesus. "The fair is important to all of us, but we need you here."

"Why?" Jesus's voice comes out harsh.

"Because they made you our leader," Tara exclaims. Her voice raises to a higher pitch as she grows more upset.

"Well, maybe they shouldn't have." Jesus snaps. He stands to his feet.

This causes both Odessa and Tara to spring to their feet as well. Jesus leans against the the wooden railing.