Fiona

After the painful silence, that hammered in my ears, Father spoke, "My dears, I unfortunately have no choice. I will have to go. My heart aches terribly as I say this but I will work tirelessly to make sure I return home safely. Wherever I next see you, either in our beautiful home or in heaven, I want you to know how much I love all of you." 

My heart was pounding in my chest and my mind whirled like a washing machine: I longed to jolt up in bed and realise the last five minutes had been a horrible nightmare. However, my eyes were still fixed on Father and I remained in the teary moment. I leaned over and gave Father a big hug and Fiona, Emerald, Sarah and Mother joined me. 

"Oh Father we love you so much," Fiona and Emerald chorused. Mother, who was pale and shaken, finally croaked, " Sapphire and Emerald, it is time for bed." Even though Sarah and Fiona usually sleep later, they came with us, understanding it would be a hard night. 

As I got into bed, tears welled in my eyes and I sniffed heavily as mucus slithered down from my nose. I crawled under the covers and sobbed, wondering how my life had been turned upside down with just one letter. I heard soft footsteps and I held my breath as they came closer. Then, I heard her silky voice, " Sapphire, dear, it's Fiona." 

I poked my head out of the covers and buried my head in her arms, tears spurting from my eyes. Her hands massaged my head and her fingers combed through my hair. She whispered, " Sapphire, whatever happens, I will be by your side to be your shield, you can confide with me whenever you want." 

I smiled and she tucked me into bed and kissed me on the forehead, "Sweet dreams Sapphire, sweet dreams..."