Packing Up

My head felt heavy as I feebly placed all my possessions inside my suitcase neatly while looking around at my bedroom, thinking back to all the happy and sad times I had experienced within the same four walls. I put my hand against the peeling wallpaper and leant my head against it, yearning for it to suck me back in time and to properly cherish the memories I made in here.

Almost about to collapse with sadness, I didn't notice Emerald walk in slowly with all her books. "That's the last lot of them. I am going to miss home so much Sapphire." I sighed and whispered, "I know, me too Emerald...Remember when we both learnt our alphabet right here in this very room with Fath...", I couldn't make myself finish the sentence. Emerald nodded , her eyes seemed distant and cold as she started mindlessly handing me some books, "Sapphire, take these books, we still have to go to school in the countryside. I can't fit all these books in my suitcase, can you take some?" Taking the books and carefully positioning them in my suitcase, I zipped it up and threw my arms around Emerald. 

She closed her arms around me and we silently hugged for what seemed like hours. 

Finally, I pulled away and said, "I think we should go downstairs now." Emerald took my hand and we slid down the banisters before collapsing at the bottom, laughing for the first time that day. Sarah came running, her brow creased with worry before letting out a sigh of relief and exclaiming, "I thought you two were hurt! Please my dear sisters, be more careful, I am too exhausted to survive with the stress of having to look after injured twins."

She helped us up before we scurried to the drawing room where we found Mother slumped up on the rocking chair in a heap. Suddenly, the cloud of grief drifted above our heads once more and swallowed us up in sadness. I came up to Mother and wailed, " Mother, do we have to go?"

Her dreary eyes looked right into mine before they suddenly drooped like curtains and she fell into a dizzy sleep. Fiona emerged from the kitchen and looked at Mother before murmuring, "Mother's been like this since Father was sent away. I am terribly worried on if she will manage when we have all been evacuated."

Fiona then turned to us and said, " My dears, have you both packed your trunks?" Emerald shook her head and whispered, " Sorry, I just have to pack the last few of my books" before scuttling upstairs . "Yes Fiona, I have packed but I don't think I need everything in there. However,  we won't be away for long will we?" I could see Fiona had dreaded that question and I immediately regretted putting her in this difficult situation so I boldly blurted," .. well like you said..sisters always..stick together so whatever happens, I know I will have you, Sarah and Emerald to help me." Looking relieved she nodded and beckoned for me to get my trunk and place it next to the door. 

I hurried to my room.