No Goodbyes

The next morning, I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder as I slowly opened my eyes to see Sarah standing in front of me, with dark black rings under her eyes- I assume she has stayed up all night comforting Emerald and Fiona and checking on me. I smile and sit up in bed. " Sarah, you really should get more sleep," I say. She replies, "The energy I get from seeing my little sisters happy fuels me for the day." 

After giving her a big hug, I sadly ask," When does Father have to go away?" Sarah paused, her lips were pursued together and she seemed as if she dreaded the question. " My dear, Sapphire, war has been going on for a year and yesterday more than 2 million men in Britain were ordered to go to war. It has been a very tragic but urgent event and everyone had to be on the battlefields as soon as possible." I nod, not really understanding how this had anything to do with what I asked. She continued, " Father, being a strong and noble man," she paused tears in her eyes, " left last night to fight for his country as soon as possible."

An arrow pierced my heart. "No no no no," I screeched, "Sarah your joking right, please tell me your joking. I will go downstairs to see Father and will give him a big hug and he will get me breakfast and and..." Sarah took me into my arms and gave my hand a squeeze, "Mother pleaded him to stay for another week as he just came back but Father ordered that he was to leave now as his country was counting on him. You know how patriotic Father is."

Nodding desolately, I took Sarah's hand and walked downstairs, the vicious thought in my mind that yesterday might have been the last I have ever seen of Father. I desperately tried to shove the thought away but it lingered in my mind ruthlessly. 

As I slumped onto the sofa next to Sarah, Fiona was on the floor sketching a picture of our garden that Mother tends to so dearly. "Fiona, have you hea-" She lifted her head up and I saw her red eyes and her wet face from tears being streamed over. I bent down and hugged her. "Don't worry Fiona, remember what you said, we will all go through this together and I will be there as your shield to protect you." Attempting a weak smile, she hugged me back. 

Suddenly, Emerald's cheery face danced into the room, " Father! Father! I need to show you..." she spotted our miserable faces and came towards us, " oh no what has happened? Where is Father, I can't wait to catch up on everything that has happened before he leaves. I can barely imagine him walking out that door. It pains me dearly. However, I am so glad that it will be in a long time before my eyes have to handle that horrible sight."

Fiona, me and Sarah exchanged worried glances. Sarah ushered Emerald to sit next to her and me and Fiona ( who were still on the floor) got up and sat next to Emerald too. Emerald seemed worried and asked innocently, " What happened?" 

Fiona looked at her and whispered, " Father already left last night."

Emerald broke down and collapsed onto the floor. I dropped down with her, pleading for her to get up and reassuring her that we will always be there for her. Fiona and Sarah came down too and stroked her hair and hugged her and eventually her screams and tears died down. 

"This will be difficult," Sarah admitted. "But we will all be there for each other," Fiona added. "As we are," Emerald sniffed. "The best sisters ever," I concluded.