Evacuation

Horror filled my eyes as I saw the monstrous train open its doors, ready to swallow me and my sisters  into its stomach. Its teeth looked bloody from chomping up on all the anxious little children who were already inside. Rubbing my eyes, I sighed as the terrible vision disappeared. Emerald, sensing my discomfort, looped her arm through mine and tried to smile. I watched sadly as mothers kissed their children goodbye while weeping sorrowfully and I tried not to feel the absence of Ma ,who I constantly reminded myself, was ill and it would be bad for her health if she had to walk all the way to the station. 

Even with this thought played on repeat in my mind, I whispered to Fiona, "I wish Mother was here." Her eyes flickered quickly as if her sisterly instincts had been switched on and she  picked me up and whirled me around before she whispered back, " I do too but we have each other." 

Gaining the slightest bit of energy from Fiona's words I nodded as she gently placed me back on the ground. Suddenly, a plump, cheery woman advanced towards us before exclaiming, " I am Amy Smith. I assume you four are sisters? What a darling bunch!" Sarah politely responded, " Good morning Mrs Smith. I hope you have had a lovely day so far and..." Mrs Smith abruptly interrupted, "Oh my dearies, you can just call me Amy and please don't find the need to be so formal with me." Since I had not listened carefully to Sarah's talk the night before as how we would be given our new families and since I seemed quite fond of Amy, I excitedly asked," Are you going to be our new Mother?" 

I could see Sarah shoot a look of annoyance at me before turning to Amy. Amy laughed loudly before saying, "Oh my dear! No I am not going to be your new mother but you have made my day by asking so! " Burying my face into my jumper, I prayed silently to hope that Amy would never bring up my mistake again. Luckily, she quickly moved on: "Okay so please tell me your names so I can check you all off on my list." Sarah said as she gestured to each one of us, " I am Sarah and this is Fiona...Emerald and Sapphire." 

"What beautiful names!" said Amy ecstatically, "Your parents are so wonderful to give you all such meaningful names." And there it was. As if a bomb had been dropped onto us, all of our moods darkened once again as Mother and Father had been mentioned but Amy had already started loading our luggage into the train so she didn't notice our expressions change. As I sluggishly pulled myself into the train, it was as if my whole brain had changed. I realised something that I hadn't before: that the time of my meltdown might have been the last time I had ever seen Mother. My previous dread filled me once again as I took my seat next to Sarah and Fiona and Emerald sat behind me. I wondered how I could every say sorry to Mother. Just as I was about to try and escape from the train's clutches, the train whistled. 

The journey had began.