Chapter Eight: Thursday, December 1st

The bright blue ocean glittered in the morning sunlight. The waves were smaller now, stiller, almost, but still there, still sending the sea spray on the salty breeze. Sana closed her eyes and inhaled. The scent was unlike anything she'd ever really smelled before. Fresh from the morning, yet old as time itself. The sun gently warmed her skin, and the sky was cloudless and vast and bright. Today was idyllic, Sana decided. There was conversation in the background of her mind, she could tune in if she wanted. Mr Joestar was talking to Polnareff and Avdol about something, and Sana didn't really know nor care what. If it was important, they would mention it to her.

Beside her stood Kakyoin, and, in turn, beside him stood Jotaro. The three of them were silent. There was no need to say anything at all. The three were just enjoying the new day. Sana hoped it would be as peaceful as she felt right now.

"You're both very interested in the ocean," Kakyoin remarked. Sana and Jotaro looked over at him. Jotaro didn't speak, so Sana did.

"I've never seen it like this," she said, looking back out to sea. It stretched out endlessly, as far as she could see. "Not this close. But-" Sana glanced over at Jotaro. "You've seen it. Let me guess, you're thinking about some marine biology thing?"

"Yeah," Jotaro muttered. "I'm wondering what fish are here. I think the waters could have sharks."

"Oh?" Kakyoin asked. "How do you know that?"

"I thought you knew everything about Hong Kong?" Jotaro said.

Kakyoin looked at the railings, and his hands. "My knowledge ends at the shoreline."

Sana laughed. "You two should stay friends. Your knowledge completes each others'."

"I suppose you're right," Kakyoin said, and he got this strange look on his face. Almost wistful, nostalgic, bittersweet. Sana couldn't decode it. As soon as it appeared, it vanished again.

"Good grief. It's not that deep," Jotaro said, pulling his hat down.

"No, but it's a nice coincidence," Sana said. "Anyway, we're all here, aren't we? Together. That's got to count for something."

"It's only been two days since we left Japan," Jotaro countered.

Sana rolled her eyes. "You know what I mean."

"Not really."

Sana suddenly felt bad for Kakyoin, standing between the two of them while they bickered. "I guess we'll just have to let our opinions be different."

The moment was interrupted by Mr Joestar, yelling from his comfortable spot on the deck. "But seriously, guys... can't you do anything about those school uniforms?"

The three of them glanced over at him. What about the uniforms..?

"You're going to continue our journey wearing those? Isn't it ridiculously hot?" Mr Joestar asked.

It was a little warm, but Sana liked the heat. It was ideal for her. She knew that Jotaro never took his coat or hat off. He would rather die than do that, and Sana almost agreed with him on it.

"Well, we're students, and we should act as such," Kakyoin said, and then half-smiled. "But I suppose that sounds like a stretch."

It did, but Sana didn't mind. She liked her uniform, after all. The purple looked nice on her, she thought, and she thought it was both cute and comfortable. Besides, it was just routine to wear it. She'd feel weird if she didn't.

Jotaro just hummed in response, and turned back to look at the aquamarine waters. Sana didn't feel the need to share her feelings, either, so she just did the same. There were birds soaring on the air currents over the ocean. They dipped and soared, and Sana followed their path with her gaze. There was something so pleasant about watching them...