Chapter 16/ Epilogue

One year later, Alexander and Alice had been married for 9 months. Alice had discovered 3 months ago that she was pregnant. Alexander had been worried that they weren't ready to raise a child but Alice assured him that Mrs Evans would be only too happy to help, sure enough she was.

Mrs Evans had become like a mother to all three of them. Of course she had been a mother to Alice for several years but to Alexander and Emily this was new. She loved them all as if they were her own flesh and blood. 

It was a day in late November, Alexander and Alice were in their new house, which the four of them had moved into 2 months ago. They were discussing baby names. "It should be Alex if it's a boy" Alexander suggested.

"Don't be so big-headed, why should he have the same name as you?" Alice replied.

"Hey, what's wrong with Alex, it's a great name."

"It's your name, besides it'd be too confusing. Imagine it 'Alex, Alex's nappy needs changing' you wouldn't want to hear that every day would you?"

"Point taken. How about George?"

"Why?"

"Well think about it, Mrs Evans wouldn't be here if it wasn't for George. And I don't know about you but if we have a son I want him to grow up to be as brave and courageous as George was."

"I like it, George Alexander Stuart."

"Why does he have to have my name as his middle name?"

"Alice can be her middle name if it's a girl. What girls name should we choose?"

"I already know what I'd call her then."

"And you're not going to tell me?"

"Nope."

"What if it's a boy, will I never find out?"

"We might have another in the future, you'll find out then."

Alexander looked upset. "Oh alright," Alice snapped "if it's a boy I'll tell you what I would have called him if he was a girl. How does that sound?"

"Perfect" Alexander replied.

2 days later it was the 24th of November. Alice went into labour, Emily was home from school and her and Mrs Evans rushed to join Alice and Alexander at the hospital.

"How is she?" Mrs Evans asked Alexander.

"She's fine but the doctor asked me to step out for a moment, he said there's a problem."

"Problem? What kind of problem?" Mrs Evans asked, panicked.

Just then one of the nurses stepped out of the room "Alexander Stuart?"

Alexander stepped forward "yes that's me? Is she ok?"

"Yes she's fine, she's given birth but you should know...."

The nurse wasn't able to finish her sentence as Alexander pushed open the door to Alice's room to find Alice smiling with not one baby in her arms, but two.

"Meet George" Alice said nodding to one of the two babies.

"One boy and one girl" the doctor said.

"What's our daughter's name going to be then?"

"Wait until...Ah Mrs Evans, Emily you're here!"

"Yes my dear, we're here and....oh."

"Awww they're soooo cute," Emily said as the doctor told them that Alice and Alex had both a son and a daughter. Emily continued "the girl has a big head like you Allie."