Chapter 8: Opposed view

Callahan's POV

"You must know how to address a royal properly, Callahan."

"Yes, I know about that father; you are my father, right? But you are also the duke, so I must call you Duke Blaire Alarick of Kavinojues."

We sat there under the shades of the leaves, which allowed us to hide from the solemn sunlight. Me and my father, or, should I say, my adoptive father.

"Indeed, and an honor for the queens and kings?"

"They are the Highnesses."

"And for the princes and princesses?"

"They must be... uh, majesties!"

"Then what about me, Callahan? How was the Duke supposed to be honored?"

"You are honored as the Lord, father."

The memory of my past with the Duke is the best memory I can ever think of. My youth, which is the castle, and the moments we always spent together. I always waste my time waiting for him to be with me and tell me other tales and facts. He never treated me as a boy who he only met one winter night. He always calls me my boy, like his own son.

"Very well, my son. Now then, how should you be called?"

"Me? I am Callahan, father. Callahan Hudson Alarick."

"Yes, I know, I know. I am asking how the son of the Duke should be honored."

"The sons of dukes are called Marquesses, but I'm not a Marques. I am not your real son."

It has always been a wonder to me, since I was a child. Will a man still be legally considered royal blood if there is no such blood of royalty that runs in his veins? Will a man be legally an heir of a royal if it is proven that the so-called royal blood was tainted by the blood of a commoner?

"Son, remember who you are. You may not have blood that is directly an heir of a royal. But you are now under my roof; I educate you; I nurture you; I feed you; and now that I ask for your acceptance of who you are, do you accept?"

The look in his eyes was a stick to activeness that I had never seen before. Those eyes were the same gray orbs that gave me the life that I so much enjoy now. The same gray orbs who asked me if I had eaten on the night of the cold then held my hands gently, fed me, kept me warm, and made me Royalty. Now I sat here, fawning over the gold and wealth that weren't mine.

"I am the son of the duke of Kavinojues, Duke Blaire Oliver Alarick. I am an heir of the powerful kingdom of the north; there shall be no call that I refuse, and there shall be no glory that I oppose."

With a sentence, I plead a promise in front of the man who arouses the royalty that I do not have. The blood of a commoner that runs serenely in my vein—will it be a mistake that I tinted it with the glorious yet alluringly poisonous royal line?

Amid my morning routine, a familiar voice of a man called out my name, his voice as objective as ever. My eyes paid attention to the piano that I am playing now, stolen by the presence of the familiar man who summoned my name.

"Splendid sound you are creating, son."

"An honor father"

"Was that a piece from Mozart?"

"Yes, Rondo Alla Turca, to be precise."

"'til these days, son, it still sent euphoria into the atmosphere whenever I heard your masterpieces."