Chapter 6

Friday was the last school day before winter break and Holden waited until then to give McKenna her gift. That way, he had two weeks of vacation away from her before having to face her again.

It took all day to summon his courage and it wasn't until the end of the last class of the day that he finally got up the nerve. He'd brought the wrapped gift to school with him and put it in his locker. He took it out now and tucked it into his jacket pocket.

"We'll come with you," Jamie said. "In case you need backup." He smiled, but his eyes were deadly serious. They were both familiar with the cheerleader's viciousness.

Abby nodded in agreement with Jamie. A notable tension gripped the girl, but she didn't back out.

"Thanks," Holden murmured and closed his locker. His feet didn't want to move.

"Look," Jamie told him. "It doesn't matter what she says, you're doing this out of the kindness of your heart. That's what matters—not whether she appreciates it. If she doesn't, that's karma points against her, not you."

"Yeah," Holden whispered. He believed that, too. It just didn't make it any easier to approach the mean-spirited cheerleader when Holden seemed to be her main target. He exhaled. "Let's go and get this over with."

They located McKenna with a couple of her fellow cheerleaders lingering in their hallway before heading home. Lincoln wasn't with them, nor any of the other football players. For that, Holden was thankful. Convinced McKenna would humiliate him, he didn't want Lincoln there to witness the spectacle.

His steps slowed as he walked toward the cheerleader. She and her friends hadn't noticed him yet. For a split second, he considered aborting the mission and fleeing the scene. He kept walking forward, Jamie and Abby at his side. Had he been alone, he would have run away, he was positive. He felt foolish for fearing a girl smaller and weaker than him, but it wasn't her physical assaults that wounded—but the emotional, psychological strikes. Such abuse didn't require size and strength on the part of the abuser.

Jamie touched his back when Holden faltered. "You got this, bro," he spoke low. "Don't allow her to make you feel bad for doing something nice."

Holden took a deep breath and moved ahead, nearing the cheerleaders. Tonya spotted him first and nudged McKenna. The cheer captain turned and looked at him, one perfect eyebrow sliding up inquisitively.

Clearing his throat, Holden struggled to find his voice. "I, uh... I'm your... Secret Santa."

McKenna laughed short. "No shit?" She glanced at the other two girls who appeared thoroughly amused at the notion.

"Yeah," Holden mumbled and reached into his pocket, taking out the small gift. "I know you don't like me," he said quietly, "but I hope you'll like your gift." He handed it to her.

"Wow." She smirked, accepting the present. "You really got me something?"

He nodded and started to turn away when she stopped him.

"Don't go," she said. "Let me see what you got me."

Holden stood nervously as Jamie and Abby came closer.

McKenna opened the gift and stared at the earrings. "Oh, my God." She smiled, lifting the earrings from the box. She frowned, puzzled. "How did you know...?"

He shrugged and glanced at Abby.

"I told him," Abby said softly.

To his shock, McKenna flashed a genuine smile. "Thank you. This is so... nice." She gazed at Holden. "And after I've been such a bitch to you. That takes... integrity."