Chapter 17

He meant it when he said he didn't want me anymore, Lincoln thought sickly when Holden turned away and refused to look at him. Angel believed there was still a chance for them, and Lincoln wanted to believe as well, but maybe all was lost. That's how it felt just now.

"Hey." Mckenna pushed Lincoln aside from the others. "Why haven't you returned any of my calls or texts? I've been trying to get a hold of you for days."

Lincoln averted his eyes. "Why didn't you just come over?" he mumbled, honestly curious. He had expected her to show up at his door the day after his party. She hadn't.

The cheerleader huffed. "What? Come trailing after you like a lovesick puppy? I wouldn't give you the satisfaction."

"Trust me," Lincoln murmured. "I would've gotten no satisfaction from that."

McKenna narrowed her eyes. "Are you still pissed because of what happened at the party?"

Lincoln met her stare. "As a matter of fact, I am."

"I don't believe you." She rolled her eyes. "It was just a fucking joke. Not our fault the little fairy can't take a joke. And why do you care, anyway?"

Lincoln stared at her and tried to understand what his dad thought she could bring to the table.

"When I saw your dad the night of your party, he said you were going to call me and apologize."

"Apologize for what?"

"For being stupid and breaking up with me. For kicking us out of your house. For, I don't know—being a dick."

He did need to apologize for being a dick... but not to McKenna and the others.

"Well, he was wrong."

"I'd like to see you tell him that."

"Too late," Lincoln said. "I already did."

"You told him he was wrong." McKenna snorted. "Right."

"I told him I didn't want to be with you because I wasn't in love with you and that I didn't even like you."

McKenna squinted coolly. "You sure seemed to like me all those times you were nailing me."

"Is that how it seemed?" Lincoln mumbled.

"What's that supposed to mean?" McKenna snapped.

Lincoln sighed. "Forget it. You wouldn't understand." He stepped around her and returned to the others.

"Where the fuck you been the last few days?" Troy asked. "You can't seriously still be pissed about the party."

McKenna approached. "Oh, but he is."

"Why?" Troy chuffed. "I still don't get why you kicked us out and ended the party. What the fuck is up with you?"

"A lot," Lincoln admitted. "There's been a lot of tension at home with my dad and I'm thinking of moving out. I have a job in the city. Now, I just need to find an apartment."

Greg looked baffled. "Dude, why? You've got it made living with your dad. You got money. Why do you need a job?"

"As long as I'm living under his roof and taking his money," Lincoln said, "he controls my life."

"So?" Mckenna replied sarcastically. "He has great plans for you. He's paying for your college and then taking you into his business after that. You're set. Why're you determined to fuck it all up?"

Lincoln was beginning to understand what his dad saw in her—she was just like him.

"I don't want to be a stockbroker. I sure as hell don't want to work with my dad. I want to figure out my own life."