Chapter 1

Jack Marston waved at the man who had delivered the corn seed to his ranch and picked up the the hay bale as the man walked away. The man climbed back on his wagon and rode away back to Mcfarlandes ranch. Jack then began to haul the hay bale to his barn. The cows and horses made their noises of protest and chickens ran around their part of the ranch.

It had been three years since his father had been killed by the agents and mere months since he had killed Edgar Ross. He never wanted the life his father lived but it seemed to have found him. He knew he was a wanted man but at least he was making an effort to go straight. Like his father had tried to do before he was murdered.

Jack set down the hay bale in the barn and took his hat off to wipe his forehead. It had been his fathers hat and his only reminder of the life they had. It was his last connection to John other then when people mistake him.

The ranch had been in disarray for three years and now starting again was the hardest part. Those three years had been filled with caring for his sick mother and training like a mad man to become a gunslinger. His only thoughts were of revenge for his family. He felt so alone without them. Even that dunk, uncle.

He sighed and walked through the doors. There, he saw a man looking around frantically. The floor, the house and then finally he locked eyes with Jack. Though his stare didn't linger on him for long as he was more focused on looking for something.

He held a hand by his revolver feeling a sense of deja vu. This was how his father was killed. Gun downed in front of the barn. Though, admittedly, it was only one man and he looked quite harmless. If anything it was the strange man who should be worried.

"Hey... you lost friend?" Jack asked harshly.

"Ah the world is ending friend. There is no loss. No need for loss. My time has come man" he said.

"I beg your pardon" Jack said as he continued to approach the man slowly.

"Mr. Marston... the world.... the world! Its... the world"

"What?" Jack questioned, "fella are you alright?"

"John Marston, I am surprised at you... how could you not remember me?" He said.

Jack tilted his head, "Wha-".

"Never mind that... you helped me and saved my life" he said, "go into the abyss of time and save your life. Go John go".

"My names Jack, partner" Jack said, "John Marston is dead. Has been for years".

"No matter... it seems you'll do just fine" said the man looking him up and down, "the son shall shine again. Shine like the brightest star on the darkest night".

"What are you on about?" Jack asked, "how do you know my father? How did you know i was 'the son'".

"Do you want to save your family?" The man raved, "family? Do you want to save them? your father? Mother?".

"There's not much I can do to save them now sir... they've been long dead now. I don't get your meaning" Jack said still confused, "who are you?".

"Francis Sinclair sir" he said, "best researcher west of... oh well it doesn't matter anymore.... the world's ending after all".

He said that matter of factly.

He pulled out what looked like an old rusted revolver. The barrel looked as if it had been carved and the metal was not smooth.

"Now... to business" he said, and appeared to load the weapon with one bullet.

"Hey calm down... what's happening?" Jack said raising his hands.