Chapter 3

There was a time when Jack would have been hesitant to shoot someone. Facing Edgar Ross was not one of them and neither was the prospect facing Micah Bell. Arthur had left hours ago to do some work before breaking Micah out of jail. He had agreed to sit with his parents and tell them everything.

John and Abigail sat infront of him. He didn't know what to say anymore. The more he thought about it, the more painful it was.

"So... what's the future like son?" Abigail asked, "they told us they'd invent new machines".

"Its... more or less the same id say" Jack said, "they have invented new machines... but they aren't that great".

"Look while it's just us... why dont you tell us what happened?" John said quietly.

Jack sighed and glanced over at Dutchs tent. Dutch read a book in silence and Molly stood at the entrance watching him.

"Its... it all just goes to shit" Jack said quietly, leaning foreward, "I mean I don't even know how to begin, or even where to begin..."

"Well enough of that then" Abigail said dismissively and asked, "...are you hungry?"

John gave a look of disappointment but didn't say a word of protest.

"I'd rather not be poisoned ma" Jack said squinting his eyes at them.

"It ain't my cooking... its Mr Pearson" Abigail said.

"Who's that again?" Jack questioned.

John and Abigail looked at each other and Abigail stood with a smile.

"Look... Micah is a rat" Jack said once Abigail was out of hearing range, "the rat... he ruins everything. Makes Dutch go insane and leave you for dead. That's why you leave the gang".

"What?"

Jack opened his mouth to say something, but Abigail reappeared with a bowl of stew.

"You're so thin... when did you last eat?" Abigail asked.

"Maybe... oh... last... I don't remember..." Jack said with a shrug.

"Well eat" Abigail said, "I know you outlaws and your appetite".

"This must all be a lot for you two" Jack said as he took a bite.

Of course it wasn't good but it was better than a can of cold beans.

"You got so... big" Abigail said, "you're tall and handsome".

Jack looked up at her and shrugged, "i guess I... grew into my looks".

They sat in silence for a while, just watching Jack eat the stew. Of course jack had noticed but he opted not to say anything. He was just as confused as they were. Once he finished Abigail smiled in relief.

"You should eat more" Abigail said.

"I... sure... if you say so" Jack said with a shrug.

"Look... I want you to come with me somewhere" John said leaning in, "a home robbery".

Jack squinted his eyes in a questioning stare. Abigail huffed.

"John-" Abigail started.

"-Some guy in the mountains who steals from poor families" John continued in determination, "and you can tell me everything on the way. Away from Dutch since hes obviously not your favorite person".

Jack nodded, "Alright... I guess i can do that".

John nodded and stood along with Abigail who didn't look pleased. Jack walked ahead to his horse, hearing their conversation.