Expectancy

Summary:

Weeks go by, and they don't see each other. They take the time to think about their relationship and what they want for themselves. With that in mind, they start taking baby steps to try and mend their relationship, but Lilly is going through some changes she wasn't expecting.

 With that in mind, they start taking baby steps to try and mend their relationship, but Lilly is going through some changes she wasn't expecting

From not too far away, Bucky watched Zemo pay his respects to his deceased family in front of the Sokovian Memorial.

With heavy steps, he made his way to the other man. He didn't want to interrupt him at such a delicate moment. When Zemo turned to him, he greeted Bucky with a small smile on his face and a teasing greeting on his lips. Urging Bucky to kill Karli, he didn't hide his disappointment when Bucky told him that Karli would be dealt in their way. Their terms.

When Bucky lifted his gun at Zemo, he wasn't sure what he was expecting would happen. Still, he wouldn't deny the peacefulness in Zemo's eyes didn't surprise him a little. He understood the sentiment, even if it wasn't in the same tone or reason, but he did understand it.

The sound of the bullets reaching the ground reminded Bucky of who he was. Not who he had been but who he had become. Although he and Zemo had lost a great deal, Bucky had reasons to move on. To look ahead to a future that was in his hands to take and mold as he saw fit.

Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw exactly what represented it. Lilly approached him with a gentle smile on her lips. Approval and pride displayed on her face. It had been weeks since he last saw her, but those weeks felt like centuries. His eyes fell on the cast around her arm, and he ached. He hurt and cursed. He would never forget or forgive himself for letting her get hurt. Mainly because he was the one responsible for it.

The Dora Milaje took Zemo away to the Raft, where Zemo would spend the rest of his life, but Ayo and Lilly stayed behind a moment longer. On his way to his new home, Zemo granted Bucky one last kindness. He admitted going through Bucky's book and that he had scratched his name from there, giving Bucky his family and his forgiveness. Bucky accepted it with an open heart.

Ayo warned Bucky that his actions had had repercussions and that although he was the White Wolf, it would be prudent to keep his distance for a while. He asked her for one more favor before she left, though.

Before they would part, Lillian walked to him and fanned her hand on his coat, complimenting him on his choice of clothing. Her hand traveled down his chest, stopping at every button, and before she could cease the contact, he held her hand in his.

Bucky brought her wrist to his lips and laid a single soft kiss on her pulse point, making lazy small circles in the area. His eyes remained closed, dreading the moment they would have to part. "I miss you." He heard himself saying without restrictions. The silence that followed made the ache in his heart grow, and the touch she gave him shooed all his worries away.

Her nose touched his, and her lips kissed his closed eyes. Her voice on his parted mouth made him sigh. Her confession to him made his body tremble because of the goosebumps making their way down his spine. His soul called and pulled to have her closer and not letting go. Never again.