12

TW: Mention of domestic violence and abuse.

"Save me!" Yeonjun heard a faint voice of a girl. He looked here and there but could only see darkness around him.

He started running in the direction where the voice was coming from. "Please save me!" He heard it again, this time clearer. He kept running But he couldn't reach anywhere, there was no end to the darkness.

He could hear the voice crying for help but he couldn't reach it. That voice kept crying for help but suddenly it stopped.

He waited for some moments thinking maybe the voice will be heard again, but it didn't. It made him break down into tears, because of the powerlessness and failure he felt.

His eyes suddenly opened, waking up from the dream. He realised it was the same dream he was having since a particular incident. A particular unforgettable incident. He checked his phone to see the timing, it was almost four in the early morning.

He got out of his bed, not wanting to sleep anymore. Leaving his room he was on his way to the kitchen. When he reached near his parents room, he started hearing his dad yelling. The worst part was that he had heard it thousands of time.

As he got closer to the room, a loud noise of glass hitting a hard surface came out of the room. He knew what was happening.

He knocked on the door, making his dad to stop yelling. His dad opened the door not wide enough for the person outside to see anything behind him.

"What are you doing here?" His dad asked in a strict questioning way.

"Where is Mom?" Yeonjun asked bravely although he was trembling from inside.

"She is sleeping."

Before Yeonjun could ask anything else he heard a quite sniffle from the room.

He was hitting mom again.

"Mom, are you okay?" Pushing the door open he entered the room and saw his mom lying on the floor crying in pain. He knelt down beside his mom, holding her hand. He was having a hard time holding back his tears.

His dad walked towards him and sternly ordered, "Go back to your room, right now."

He ignored his dad and healed the bruises he saw on his mom's wrists and face. This was the least he could do for his mom.

His mom lightly pushed his hands away and said in a shaking voice, "Go back to your room." His mom always told him to go away whenever something like this happened and he hated the fact that his mom was so scared of his dad.

His dad grabbed his arm and made him stand up. He knew what was going to happen now, because it has happened everytime he didn't listen to his dad. His dad threw a slap on his face.

"You should stop getting into adults' matters."

"But Dad-"

His words got cut off by his dad, "You know very well when I hit you there is no one to save you. So don't disobey me."

His mom got up from the floor and took him out of the room saying, "You have school today. Just go back to your room."

He had no choice but to go back to his room. The tears he was holding back fell down from his eyes when his mom closed the door of the room.

• • • • • • • • • • •

Yeonjun entered school hallway and saw Min Si waiting for him infront of his class. She waved at him and a smile appeared on his face immediately after seeing her.

He walked to her with the loving smile and greeted, "Good Morning!"

"Good Morning! Why do you look so tired?" She asked looking at his tired eyes which were also a little swollen.

"I just couldn't sleep properly." He gave an excuse.

She remembered that last week he skipped school two times in the single week. First time he was sick and the other time he overslept.

I hope he's fine.

"I am free today evening. Should we study together in the library after school?"

"But why study? We can go to arcade or for a movie." He placed more options infront of her.

"Exams are approaching, we have to be prepared." She explained him.

"There's a month left for the exam."

"Please!" She made puppy eyes, which he couldn't resist, so he gave in.

"Whatever you say."

"That's like a good boyfriend." She said ruffling his hair and then walked back to her classroom leaving with butterflies in his stomach.

These little things made him escape reality for the day. Meeting Min Si, Wooyoung and the other friends made him forget about all the problems.

• • • • • • • • • • • •

Min Si came out of her room to see Chae Rin eating her dinner. Min Si wanted to talk to her about their Christmas plans, so it would be best to eat with her. They had become more comfortable with each other in the time of two months they had been living together.

Min Si sat infront of Chae Rin at the table and took her food. They ate in silence as usual.

In the two months of dating Yeonjun they went on a date every sunday, their dates were mostly in restaurants, cafes, library, theatre, but now she wanted to make a little change. Their winter break was going on and she was thinking of asking Chae Rin about bringing Yeonjun home on Christmas' Eve but couldn't because her subconscious told her that it would be weird.

"I wanted to ask you something." Min Si tried to start the conversation. To which Chae Rin nodded asking her to continue.

"Will it be okay with you if I call my boyfriend home for dinner on Christmas' Eve?" Min Si asked hesitantly, ready to hear a 'no' from the other side.

But instead Chae Rin chuckled answering, "I was going to ask you the exact same thing."

She has a boyfriend too? I hope he's a nice guy, she deserves it. The protective and caring bestfriend in her was getting activated.

"So?"

"I think we're having a double date tomorrow." Chae Rin said in an awkward tone. It was understandable though. Things can get uncomfortable when you're not even in good terms with your friend.

"We should decorate our house properly." Chae Rin proposed to which Min Si hummed in agreement.

After a few moments of none of them speaking Chae Rin cleared her throat lightly and asked, "Is your boyfriend the guy from that night?"

Min Si coughed in embarrassment remembering the night when accidentally Chae Rin saw her kissing Yeonjun.

"Yes." She answered, her cheeks turning red.

"You guys are cute." Chae Rin commented smiling.

"What's your boyfriend's name?" Min Si asked, in attempt to divert the topic.

"Soobin."

"I could have never guessed that you have a boyfriend." Min Si said honestly.

"On the other hand, you're transparent. Your eyes twinkle when you get Yeonjun's call or text."

Min Si covered her face in embarrassment saying, "It's so cringey."

Giggling Chae Rin assured, "No, it's not. You're in love, so it's not cringey."

Min Si changed her posture to a serious one. "Please don't ever tell mom that I have a boyfriend. She won't like it."

Chae Rin nodded in assurance.