Alt Ending - If All Was Well: Part 3

What would have happened if Regulus had never joined the Dark Army? If he and Ophelia had survived the war?

----------

Ophelia folded one last blouse and placed it atop the stack inside her small trunk. She thought she had everything she needed. It was only going to be a few days, just until their new nursery was completed.

She had gone over the list of everything she and the boys would need while they were gone. Her suitcase was definitely ready, but she wasn't sure how packing was going for the two boys, Perseus and Corvus.

Ophelia walked down the hall to check on them, only to find both of their rooms absent of them. They both had suitcases on their beds, that was a start. She was just hoping they were at least partially packed.

If the boys weren't in their rooms, they must have been downstairs. Maybe they were with their father or having something to eat.

She went down the stairs hoping to find everyone, but the main floor was empty as well.

She wondered where they were, and she hoped that it wasn't some kind of prank they were pulling. Then, out of the corner of her eye, Ophelia saw movement from a window to their backyard.

As she walked closer, she could definitely hear laughter, and it made her heart flutter. That is, until she opened the door and saw what was really going on.

Her eyes widened at the sight of her two sons on broomsticks several metres above her head, and her husband on the ground cheering them on.

"You're both doing so well!" Regulus said loudly.

The oldest boy looked at him, then saw Ophelia. Knowing exactly what she was about to say, he flew down immediately and dropped the broomstick beside his dad.

"What? What's wrong? Why'd you stop-" Regulus began, then he noticed his wife standing by the back door. "Corvus, come down right now!"

The younger boy was confused, but flew down nevertheless. Regulus gathered both of their kids beside him as he feigned innocence.

"Lia, my dear, how long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough to have seen both our sons flying, and I heard you cheering them on as well." She replied, glaring at him with her hands on her hips. "I came down to see if the boys were packed and ready to go, yet I saw my seven and five year-old boys up in the air."

Perseus spoke up before Regulus could defend himself. "We're all done packing, Mummy!" He knew he was in trouble. He only calls her 'Mummy' when he needs to act all innocent. Despite being so young, he had some awareness of when to be nice in order to get out of trouble. Just not enough awareness to stop talking when he should. "Dad helped us and he said since we were done early we could try flying!"

Regulus interrupted to stop his son from outing him any more. "Yes, boys, why don't you go get your trunks and bring them down to show your mum? I think it's a great idea, run inside!"

They did as he asked, jogging back to the house, leaving their parents out back.

"We said we were going to teach them each individually when they turned eight." Ophelia said. She didn't seem as angry as Regulus expected, which was very relieving for him.

"I know, darling. I just found my old broomsticks tucked away earlier, and I got so nostalgic. Plus, I just wanted to make a nice memory with them before you go away." He took Ophelia's hand in his and brought it up to his lips, giving her palm a gentle apology kiss. "I should have waited, I know that."