❅ 9: Losing Control

"Again," Rosalind commanded forcefully, as the harsh winds surrounding us picked up.

We had been practicing using configuration magic to turn my power into pure energy for most of the morning now. Our practice location had changed as well since Rosalind claimed that training by the specialist fields offered too many... distractions for me. She'd had one of the Solarian guards that patrolled the schools drive us up to the highest mountain in the Blackbridge. The area was one that, according to Rosalind, had been charmed to be in a perennial winter. The air had been so thin that I'd had trouble breathing at first, much to Rosalinds dismay, but luckily my experience with the low temperature had been quite the opposite. The freezing temperatures mixed with the stormish gales of the high mountain only seemed to bolster my magic to a degree that surprised even me.

I straightened my back and rubbed my hands together, feeling a sudden adrenaline spike as I began to channel. I took care to control my breaths before pulling my hands apart, seeing the bright blue ball of energy materialize between my palms. I took in a deep swig of the cool winds beating against my face before extending my arms and enlarging the humming orb.

"Good, now hold and charge it," Rosalind came up behind me and steadied my shoulders.

I channeled more magic into the sphere, feeling the buzz of pure energy become slightly harder to control. It felt like trying to hold down the water from a spewing fire extinguisher with just two hands. I could feel the air around us starting to respond to my conjuring.

"Soren, do not let go!" Rosalind yelled over the winds starting to collect around us, "This is your power, your potential."

I started to panic as the energy became harder and harder to manage, "Rosalind, I can't, this is too much!"

My senses were heightened to an almost overwhelming level. It was like I was trying to control every single air molecule in our immediate proximity simultaneously.

"You can control this, you must. This feeling that you are experiencing is your raw, unadulterated power, Soren. Bloom has not even reached this level of mastery over her magic yet." Rosalind gripped my shoulders tightly again.

"Ugh," I cried out, feeling myself starting to completely lose control to my power. I tried to stay above it but could feel myself starting to fail as my chest tightened and my breaths started to shorten suddenly.

Hot tears clouded my vision and streamed down my face as I continued to hold my magic in place. It was all just too much; the blizzard and heavy winds beating against my body, the intensity of my magic, Rosalind's poking and prodding... all of it was begging for me to relinquish my control.

One final spike in my adrenaline sent a shock rippling through my muscles, "Ack-"

My arms jerked forward and everything seemed to pause for a moment. I looked around through the haziness of my tears at each individual snowflake frozen in place before the orb shot out a beam of energy. The sheer force of magical output threw me back a couple of feet and I was caught even more off guard by the lack of Rosalind's presence behind me, I hadn't even noticed her step back out by the car. I dug my boots into the snow beneath me, not allowing myself to be pushed back anymore. I bent down to my knees, gulping air desperately as my body began to calm back down from the trauma of conjuring so much at once. The sound of cracking stopped me, and I looked up. The beam had apparently cut into a section of the high cliff above us and I watched as a body of ice, the size of a small glacier slowly destabilized and came crashing down into the floor where we stood. Time seemed to slow down as the ground shook from the force of the collision and I stared at the scene before me in horror. The glacier had splintered into an avalanche of ice, snow, and rock that now came tumbling towards us.