1

"Most smiles are started by another smile."

- Frank A. Clark 

"The car should be waiting for you outside the airport," Tony's voice came through the other side of the phone as I walked through LaGuardia. "So fancy pants you can't come pick me up now?" I teased, pausing to grab my luggage. Tony responded, but I could tell he was far from the phone, most likely tinkering with another one of his masterpieces. I laughed at the sound of something falling and Tony cursing. "I'll see you soon Tony, I'm about to get in the car now." My swift exit cut into the stream of colorful words I could hear from his end. I felt the smile on my face as I looked up to see Happy. 

"Liz, glad you're back!" Happy embraced me. "He's becoming insufferable." I laughed, moving towards the open passenger door. "Glad to be back, Happy. If only for a short time." My voice was clipped on the last part, and I knew I shouldn't but I felt the need to lay down the line. I was only home for winter break, and I didn't want anyone getting the wrong idea. I could see Happy's face change, a solemn break in his eyes before he closed the door behind me. 

By the time he came around to duck into the driver's seat, it was the usual Happy, making me wonder if I'd imagined the look in his eyes after I'd spoken. "Happy I-"

"No don't worry about it. School's stressing you out." Happy cut me off. "We've all been there, kid. Don't worry about it." He started the car, and I leaned back to look out the window. His words relaxed me, knowing he knew I didn't mean what had been said. Or at least, the unspoken words between the lines. "It'll be good for you to meet the team," Happy said, filling the silence in the car that had settled since we started towards Manhattan. "You mean the Avengers?" I asked, laughing a little.  "They're good people." Happy defended, glancing over at my face as he drove. "I'm sure they are." I countered calmly, glancing out the window.

I noticed as the terrain was changing, nearing an unfamiliar part of the city. "Happy, where are we going?" I asked slowly, pushing myself up to pay a bit more attention. "To the compound." He answered casually, like it was no big deal. I was used to Stark tower, not some compound. "You don't mean the Avengers compound?" I laughed. I knew the tower was no longer used, but I had no place at a compound for superheroes. "Yeah, Tony's already set up a room for you." Happy frowned, glancing over at me for the second time. "We're almost there" He promised, turning down a private drive. 

I shook my head, smiling a little. I was only home for a short time, but I knew that it was definitely going to be busy. I'd seen the compound on the news, for the little publicity Tony had allowed for it. No news agency had made it past the gates, though. Not with Tony's security.

The same gates that now opened in front of the car, a break forming in the electrical current of the gate. "It's comfier than you'd think inside." Happy said, noticing my face. I stared at the pristine compound, the large A on the side glaring out at me. I nodded, noticing a figure standing outside as Happy pulled around the cement path. 

I was surprised to see Tony waiting for me outside. I figured I'd have to go searching through the maze of a compound for him, assuming he'd be busy working in his lab. "There she is" Tony opened his arms wide. "The overworked nursing student ladies and gentlemen," he announced, embracing me as I stepped out of the car. "Shut up" I laughed, shoving him with my shoulder gently. I reached up and took the sunglasses from his face, setting them on my head. "Everyone's inside, if you want to meet them." Tony said, waving a hand towards the door. "You're dressed awfully casual." I observed, noticing the jeans and t-shirt he was in. 

"Don't wanna give my outfit away for the big party later." Tony teased, reaching back for his sunglasses as I ducked my head away. "Party?" I stopped and turned to face him. "Yeah, your welcome home party." Tony shrugged it off as I looked past him to see Happy give me a look. "Tony, I'm only home for break." I smiled weakly. "A party isn't really necessary-" I started, only to be cut off. "Just humor him. He's already got the whole thing planned." Happy called, an exasperated look on his face.