1: My horrors before it started.

Japan... For most people, the name conjures images of neon cities, busy streets, and anime. But for me, when I hear the name, I am reminded of my insomniac nights, inner turmoil, and culture shock.

It's easy to sit down with my now-wife and reminisce about my awkwardness when I first met her, and the times we went to karaoke bars and worked each other into a drunken buzz, but on quiet days when life feels different, we talk about my fear and the sleepless nights that plagued my everyday life. She apologizes for not being there for me whenever it's brought up, but I'm glad she wasn't. This intense burden was intimate with me— its host; it might've broken her. I know it came close to breaking me.

After years of talking to close friends and family members familiar with this torment, I've decided to write about my experience in Japan as an inspiring businessman. The events in this story go back to 2005-2008 and even early 2009. All names and titles have been altered, but the pictures are genuine and mine to share.

This story provides a glimpse into my initial experiences in Japan. It briefly touches on some factors and hints at certain subjects while the main focus remains on the overall narrative on the supernatural side... I must warn you now that it is intimate, and even with the changes I've made, I've decided to leave some of the more personal events outside the scope of this tale. In life, we face demons, and it's only your upbringing and faith that retains your sanity.

For those who have traveled for work or spent considerable time away from home, you might understand the odd sensation of being disconnected from your culture or comforts.

Japan's unique ability to welcome and disengage itself with foreigners is truly remarkable. I cannot say the same for tourists, but as someone who worked there for an extended period, I must say it was an experience like nowhere else.

This is my take, however. It may be noted that this was back in the early 2000's. So, your mileage may vary.

[First day in Japan. Sometime around noon.]

I spent three years in Kanagawa, a prefecture in Southern Japan, studying business, but more importantly, as a translator for different groups around the globe

I spent three years in Kanagawa, a prefecture in Southern Japan, studying business, but more importantly, as a translator for different groups around the globe. Australian, American, British, Canadian— any place that spoke English and needed an interpreter, I tried to volunteer as a possible guide. However, my experience was raw, and I only got this position because of my uncle, who ran a business inside the country. My performance was far behind everyone else's, and I knew that was starting to affect my popularity in the office.

These three years were so full of experience that they might as well have been a century.

I stayed in touch with my Japanese counterparts by drinking green tea and going to celebrations. I didn't have to learn how to smoke because that was already a poor habit of mine. My first-ever acquaintance, Gaku, told me that the Japanese are the rulers of the liquid of life (green tea) and the slaves to the fumes of death (cigarettes).