~Chapter 5~

Things fell into a rhythm pretty fast at the cabin in the Tundra. While Dream hadn't lived with Techno long, They manage to dance around eachother as best as a blind man could.

Speaking of which, Techno still had yet to discover that the man under his care, the ex prisoner, was blind. Dream had concluded that it was really just Technos own denial that wouldn't let him see the signs, like when Dream would hit the edge of the counter, They'd laugh it off as if it were nothing.

Phil came over quite a bit just checking on Dream. On the days we're the older man would check Dreams eyes, he kicked Techno out of the room so they could speak.

until now.

~

"Hey Techno! Dream" Phil walked in smiling at the two.

Techno was stood in the kitchen humming while making some eggs for the two of them and Dream was sat on a stool listening.

"Here for your weird ass check ups that i get kicked out for?" Techno mumbled more to himself then anyone else.

"I am." Phil spoke professionally like he was a stranger in the home.

Techno sighed scraping the now finished eggs onto two plates, placing one in front of Dream then beginning his walk out of the room.

...

...

"Wait!"

Techno stopped in his tracks turning around to look at the man who just spoke out.

"Dream?" Phil looked at the man questionably, seemed like he understood what Dream was about to do but didn't understand why.

"Stay?" Dream looked up to where he knew the door was and assumed Techno was. "I-" Dream let his head fall to 'look' at the ground "I want you to stay.." Phil looked at the man with eyes of pity and Techno just nodded, moving to sit next to the blond.

"You sure Dream..?" Phil said as he reached for the cloth covering his eyes, and the blond just gave an unconvincing smile. But Phil continued.

Slowly the cloth was removed to reveal his eyes. When there was no reaction from Techno, Phil looked up confused at the piglin hybrid.

"Did you already know? You.. don't seem surprised.." Phil spoke slowly.

Dream was just staring off into space, almost as if willing himself to be able to see something..

"Did I know about...what?" Techno looked to the older man who looked equally as confused.

"His eyes..?" Phil muttered, Techno looked towards the younger blond, looking into his eyes.

"Well yeah.. I was wondering why they were like that." Technos eyebrows were furrowed. Now the pinkette was getting kind of worried. "It's nothin' serious right?"

Phil looked to the floor and Dream has his head turned looking away.

"It is? What happened..?!" Techno stood up, Dreams head snapped towards the sound.

That's when it finally clicked for Techno.

Dreams eyes were covered by a milky film..which they never were before the prison

His eyes were unfocused

He was more jumpy to sound and touches almost as if he couldn't...see... them coming

"He's blind." Techno whispered more to himself then the other two.

Phil just nodded and Dream moved his head back down toward the ground.

.

Now knowing Dream was blind, Techno was more careful with everything.

Techno was approaching the door to the living room where Dream was sat with one of Technos wolves on his lap.

He made sure his footsteps were louder then necessary, and even knocked on the frame and spoke as he came in, "Hey" he spoke in his regular monotone voice but it was filled with care instead of just being cold.

"hey.." the blond spoke back, voice still hoarse for lack of use. Even being here, the man didn't speak as much as he used to.

The energetic ball of energy that the blond used to be, was replace by a husk of who he was.

"You..want to go out today?" Techno tried, even if it was extremely likely the blond would refuse.

"I can't. i'm an escapee remember?.. No one would want me around." Dream mumbled petting the wolfs head.

"That doesn't matter. We ignore them." Techno smiled, walking over to the man still with heavy footsteps making his movement known. "C'mon." He knew Dream couldn't see his smile now, but he hoped he could hear it when he spoke.

"mm." Dream whined looking to where he assumed Techno to be. But after a moment, he nodded.

Techno helped move Dream around the coffee table and towards the front door. "I need to go to the market.. pick up some things for dinner. then we can just walk around." Dream just nodded, dressing himself in winter wear relying just on memory and instinct. and a lot of just feeling around.

"Let's go then" Techno said with a smile and Dream nodded.

.

The two hopped off Carl, Techno tied him to the tree watching as Dream got off gracefully as a blind man could. "We'll pick up the food first, bring it back to put in the saddle bag then to anywhere you want"

"Can we go to the bakery..?" Dream spoke quietly almost, unsure.

"Puffys?" Techno watched how Dream reacted, Though the blond seemed to tense at the name.. He still nodded. "Yeah.. of course we can" voice soft as Dream had ever heard. One could mistake it as... affection.

Techno led the way towards the market, Dream held onto Technos arm as they walked so he knew where to go. "Anything you want for dinner? Phil could cook almost anything for ya"

Dream stayed quiet for a minute just in thought before shaking his head no.

There was a moment of silence before he added "but still no potatoes yet..." He half joked.

"Of course" Techno bumped his side into Dream softly "No potatoes"

Techno was talking with the merchant buying some fruits and random stuff. Dream wandered off just listening to all the noise around him. It was overwhelming compared to the silence of his cell or the calm fire crackling at Technos. For the first time in a while, there were new voices he couldn't put a face too.

While most visions of people he remembers are quite blurry, not being able to quite remember what Techno, Phil or anyone really looks like. But these voices, made him feel unsafe, there was not even hair or eye colour to put to anyone.

"Dream..?"