20

**not edited**

♛ 𝐒𝐨𝐩𝐡𝐢𝐚 ♛

His spineless laugh was a reminder that my life was at the mercy of his hands, a kind of mercy that you would never be able to grasp until the job was done, therefore rendering it nonexistent.

I was reaching the limit of my short-lasting life, where I'd see the world for the last time, feel it for the last time, and savour it for the last time.

Once I am done, I will be met with everlasting peace, having my soul join the paradise where my loved ones rest forever. Some people say it takes hours for one to adjust in such a beautiful place from the shock of its wonders, but how could that be right if the place you've  prayed for day and night was finally under your feet?  It is the only place that would make you feel alive again, malnourished like you're floating in the sky, grazing your fingers along the clouds that envelope you in a chilling yet comforting hug.

"Good luck my sweet devil." he murmured in my ear, excitedly.

I brace myself as the portal pierces the thin air, sucking in the dust roaming the atmosphere in a swirling manner until another world appeared on the other side. It all hit me like a truck once I saw the bare emptiness of the universe awaiting my presence. I turn around to relish my last moments on the ground where my parents once walked on, cradling me in their comforting arms. I let my eyes trace the cracks on our wooden porch, the vines covering the broken windows and walls, and the small shards of glass glistening under the moonlight. All of which I imprinted in the back of my head before I found myself walking through the opening with my tears trickling down my cheeks being the last thing I felt before everything went numb.

This all better be worth it.

______________

I feel the blazing light rays burn my eyelids as I lay on the cool ground. The air wafted around me, guiding me to my feet. Once I peeled my eyes open, I gaped at the millions of chambers laying ahead of me, all mantled with lavish golden curtains, shielding the world they held behind them, embedded with intricate designs that could capture you with their enthralling beauty.

The passageway seemed endless as the fog covered up what laid ahead.

The thumping of my heart grew louder, so loud I could hear its echo bouncing off the shining walls. I was lost in a maze with no escape.

I walked and I walked, my palm were sweaty, my legs were shaky, and nothing but more chambers came into view.

Feeling helpless, I slowed my pace, taking the opportunity to admire all the marvels of heaven.

And suddenly, it clicked in....

I can find my family, if only there was a tiny clue on how to reach them...

Taking a closer look at the various rooms on each side of the hall, I notice the family names carved on golden plates that were situated  atop each door frame. They were set in alphabetical order and I was at end of my letter before the names starting with "B" emerged in front of me.

Turning around, I run back, frantically eyeing all the plates I rushed past. I was almost reaching the end of the pathway and my name was nowhere in sight. I had to see it at some point....right?

I ran and I ran until my feet ached. My breath came out in short pants as i bent down to my knees, feeling my heart throb with immense dread.

'This can't be happening....' I thought to myself as I dragged my feet along to the very last name in the isle.

An ugly sob escaped its way out of my throat, so loud the plates shook against the walls, the sound of their clanking resonating all around me.

"FOCUS!" a thundering whisper boomed in my ear, shaking my body to its core. I saw the look of terror on my face through the reflection of the perfectly polished floors. Frightened eyes, sweat percolating from my glassy skin, trickling its way down the sides of my face, and my shaken frame.