Chapter 2

The stables were eerily quiet at night after all the people who worked in them had left and the horses had gone to sleep; the only hearable sound was that of the occasional huff from a sleeping colt. I held my lantern up and glanced down the row of wooden stalls until I saw Griff's. He had been my horse since I was 12. My father had gotten him for me as a surprise birthday gift and he had secretly belonged to me ever since then. I hurried down the corridor and stopped in front of him, leaning over the wooden door to try and wake him without startling him.

"Griff," I whispered. "You have to wake up." He stirred, shaking his head, but didn't open his eyes. I rubbed my hand down his nose gently, trying to wake him completely. After the third pass, he opened his eyes and whinnied.

I opened the door to his stall, put on his saddle and bridle, left my lantern hanging on the wall, and strapped my bag to him, before leading him out of the stables.

"Lilac?" A soft voice called out to me.

I turned to see Adrienne striding toward me with her horse trailing behind.

"Why are you here? I thought you went home for the night." I held the bridle tighter, pulling Griff closer to me, thinking about what my father had told me. You may not be able to trust anyone but yourself.

"I came to help you. I know you're traveling and the King said you might like a companion." She lowered her voice and glanced around. She seemed genuine enough. I was only going to be gone for a day or two so I couldn't see too much harm.

"We need to be quick. I have to make sure no more harm comes to my father." I turned and continued walking. Adrienne walked with me until we reached the gates.

We mounted our horses and set off for the half-day journey expecting to be there by morning.

"Do you know of any Inns we could stay in?" I asked Adrienne as the houses and shops came into sight being lit by the rising morning sun.

"I have a few friends who own an inn. I'm sure they'll allow us to stay there, possibly with a discount." She stopped in front of a large wooden building with a sign that read, Inn Accomes.

"Is there a festival going on?" I looked up from the gate lock I was messing with, trying to keep someone from stealing Griff, and at Adrienne, who was finishing with her own. I thought back to the beautiful white, stone buildings lining the streets which were done in cobblestone and shone in the light from the rising sun. A few people had been out carrying baskets of fruit or baked goods down the street to what I assumed was the market. Large banners had been hung diagonally from building to building down the streets in a zigzag manner. They were white and gold, the colors of the kingdom's flag, but I hadn't heard of any recent celebrations.

"I'm assuming the people are preparing for the Winter Festival. The ball is in two months and the people this time of year tend to celebrate the winter season." Adrienne began walking back to the doors of the stables, her boots clicking against the stone path, the sound quieting as she reached the corner. I left the horses and followed behind her, stopping before I stepped into the inn to look at the rising sun. It was shining from behind the castle making the white stones look like they were glowing a fierce yellow color that matched the rays reflecting off of them.

I'll be there in no time.

I stepped through the wooden door and continued into the front room. The side of the building facing the street was covered in floor-to-ceiling windows that gave way to a great view of the city as the sun rose over it. The floors were a deep rich wood that looked like they had cost plenty of money. There were chairs placed around a fireplace off to the left and a table where people could pay and get the key to their rooms facing opposite the flames.