Chapter 2: Put It To Rest

When it came to magic, there was no direct certainty as to its origins. Perhaps if Y/N knew exactly what it was, she might've been able to tap into it and have some form of self-defence against the Fey's harassment campaign. The fact that she couldn't ever beat her swordsmanship teacher, the fact that she didn't have magic: both of these things made her hesitant about going into the woods at such a time.

There were plenty of theories, but there was no way to truly know for certain. Magic was hardly quantifiable.

Some said it came from the soul. Some said it was hereditary. The main religious takes were: (from the Airjuborne Sect) that it came from the Demonic Adversary to the Goddess- who had been a powerful magician and had stolen it from the world- and that he had personally given it out to people, thus those with magic were working for the devil; or there was the belief (from the Church of the Primeval Eye) that said Demonic Adversary had failed to steal all the magic and had left some behind in people.

Others said it came from the Faer- very different to Feyries, which, yes, got confusing, but there was a difference. 

They claimed that one had Fae ancestry or had a patron in someone from the Fae courts. Others suggested that they were even Changelings (Fae children swapped out for human children), giving them magic from their Fae heritage. They said that Fae chose interesting people, or people who had done favours for them, and bequeathed magic abilities onto them. Some people even thought that those with magic had a human parent who had become a Faer concubine, and then the mixing of species would create half-breed children- and only those would have magic bestowed onto them.

Honestly, Y/N thought that was stupid. She didn't doubt that it happened on the odd occasion, but she'd never even seen a Faer ring before, let alone a whole, living, breathing Fae. How many people could actually say they had and live to tell the tale? Likely a whole lot less than what people would have you believe.

Besides, why would Fair Folk ever leave their supposedly glorious, perfect realm to mess with humans? Didn't they have better things to do in their... magic courts? Like eat food that was supposedly so delicious that if a human consumed it, they'd never taste anything as good again and thus be driven to madness (and subsequently die of starvation)? Or fly around with their wings? Or freely practice the magic that humans so coveted and feared?

Or... like... talk about Fae stuff?

Since, apparently, people had to be super polite or they'd curse you or drag you back to their realm, wouldn't all conversations between their people have to be civil? Or else they'd get violent with each other? Besides, they couldn't lie. So surely it must be more pleasant to talk with each other than some nothing humans who died quickly and spoke with vulgarity.

There was no appeal in screwing around with humans, let alone actually screwing them to make Fae-human-hybrid babies. She doubted it was common enough for five people in their little, unnoticeable village stranded out in the middle of nowhere, to be results of such affairs. It just seemed unlikely.

It was all very interesting to consider, though. Her thoughts consumed her as she contemplated these questions, numbing herself to the the aching in her bones, and the possibility of Fey run-ins.

If Y/N was a smarter woman, perhaps she'd be able to get to the bottom of the true source of magic in humans. But she was not a scholar, nor was she smart.

If Y/N was a smarter woman, she probably wouldn't walk through the woods, on an unpopulated path, through Fey infested territory, in the dark, unarmed, and alone. But she was not a smarter woman. She was actually quite stupid.