Firefighter Down

"FIREFIGHTER DOWN.FIREFIGHTER DOWN.IT'S OTIS...OVER HERE IT'S OTIS"

Firefighters rush over, hassling about the fallen firefighter. In unisons, with a heave, he is picked up and rushed outside to the mass of ambulances.

"FIREFIGHTER DOWN.FIREFIGHTER DOWN"

He is placed on the laid out gurney. His turnouts and uniform being cut off and replaced by heart pads and an IV line. The Chief's face fills with sorrow. Sirens blare and firefighters scream  to each other.

"Come on Cruz, you can ride along with us to med."

"We'll be right behind you. Everyone pack up. Let's go, let's go, let's go."

"Come on Otis, you're going to be okay. You're going to be okay. Be strong brother, be strong."

Voices echo and boom as they enter the crowded ED of Chicago Med.

"What've we got?"
"It's Otis, he was hit in the fire."
"Trauma 2's all yours Dr Halstead"
"Thank you Mags. Transfer on my count.1.2.3.Sats are dropping, let's get him on oxygen. Cruz I need you out of here."
"I'm not leaving Otis."
"Come on Joe, only to the outside of the trauma bay."

"Maggie, page Ralls from the burn unit down here and Ms Goodwin. I want her dealing with the department. Okay, push a sedative through his IV line."

The buzzes and whirrs of sirens and monitors ring in Joe's ears send him in a whirl but he feels a warm hand on his shoulder.

"Joe, you can be with him now. I'm sorry."

"What do you mean sorry, Maggie?"

"He's not going to make it."

Joe walks into the room with steady pace. His face is hit with a hot flush and it hits him. His best friend is going to die in Trauma Bay 2. God, how did they get here. Things were perfect merely 4 hours ago and now. Now this.

"Hey brother, it's me, Joe. You're, uh, you're going to a better place. Yeah. I'll meet you up there one day. Save a place for me? "

He sits down, face in hands, pleading for a miracle, wishing upon a star. Crying and crying and crying before something happens. Could it be a miracle?

"Брат, я всегда буду с тобой."

Machines begin to beep and that's when Joe knew. Otis was gone. He was gone. He was never going to come back and there was nothing he could do. The only thing left was to tell Otis' 14 year old daughter,

Viktoria Blair Zvonecek.