The Wake

So that was it. The promised line of duty funeral for Brian Zvonecek was over. Everyone was seated and stood around the flooring of Molly's bar. Veronika, however, was hiding in the back. Away from the crowds and the mounds of, 'I'm sorry for your loss' and 'he was a great guy' because she knew he was a good guy. He was her father for goodness sake. She was his pride and joy and he made sure people knew. I guess that's what pondered the pity most.

"It's a bit lonely all in this corner,don't you think?"
She looked at whoever had come to pity her next but to her surprise it was Trudy Platt,Mouch's wife.
"Trudy?" Veronika questioned.
"So,are you going to become a part of civilisation again?"
"Don't fancy it."Veronika replied,"Too much pity and pettiness."
"I get what you mean kid.I thought your friend was here?"
"She was invited, she never showed though"
"That sucks. I think Chloe was looking for you"
"She can wait a little longer." Veronika says back to Trudy.

Next up it was Stella Kidd who walked up to her. Her steps had less pep than usual. Her curly black hair was tied back in a bun to fit under her hat. The neatly pressed uniform hung on her delicate frame. She had a beer held in her hand.
"Cindy's here"
"Uh-oh. Not Cindy with her 80 billion kids" said Veronika.
This forged a slight chuckle from Stella.
"And Annabelle's just begging to see you." said Stella.
Veronika shook her head violently. Mostly in a sarcastic and jokeful way but a slight bit of it was true.
"She always tries to hug me. I don't like, no, despise, no, not that either, loathe hugs."
"Some people can hug just fine but others. Oh god no"said Stella,"you gonna come with me?"
"Will you tell me some of the crazy things that happen on shift?" asked Veronika.
"Duh"
"Alright then. Let's go."

She sat at the bar next to Ritter and Stella. Occasionally, Joe (or Chloe) would go and check on her, see how she was doing considering the day it was.
"And then, Ritter fell flat on his face" Stella was saying.
"No way!Darren Ritter you weird weird weirdo."
"Gee thanks, the both of yous" said Ritter.
"You'll appreciate it one day" said Veronika.