Chapter Nine: From Heaven to Afterlife

Martin and Velpia exited the Dockyard and headed back to the room. Martin was quiet the entire way back, refusing any question given to him; he asked for silence. Velpia didn't like his stressed response. Something was wrong with himself, but he couldn't tell what. He didn't remember anything that happened during the firefight. He remembered a loud ringing sound, then nothing. It shook him to his core; what if he wasn't in control? What if this was all a dream? He was fidgeting around in his seat, trying to get the feeling of anxiety to go away. His mind even drowned out Velpia's objections.

They returned to the room, and Martin dashed into the bathroom, still unable to shake off the feeling completely. He took a shower and put his hard suit and clothes into the cleaning machine. Ever since he had woken up at this... time, he didn't feel the same as he did prior. He was convinced it was his body, but he felt different as if things ran differently now. He felt more robust and faster, could react to situations more quickly, and was more aware, clear-minded, and even more intelligent. These things frightened him; if he was different, how did it happen, and how much has he changed?

Velpia was in the room, pacing back and forth. She was furious. She was tired of his games, the secrecy, the half statements, the dodgy explanations, and answers with no context. She had half a mind to shoot him for leaving her on the dockyard floor. She was done with feeling sorry for him. She wanted every answer she could get. She would confront him, even if she had to put a gun to his head.

He stepped out of the bathroom and was immediately greeted by the six-foot-tall angry Turian standing just a few feet away, holding a pistol in her hand. Martin's anxiety quickly dissipated, expecting trouble. He looked up at her face and looked her in the eyes.

"You are going to tell me what is going on, or so help me." Velpia scorned as she stepped closer. Martin standing in the doorway, tied his towel tighter. "What the hell happened at the Dock? One minute you were fine. The next, you lost your shit and left me to fend for myself?" She inched closer yet again. "You are going to explain who you really are!"

Velpia was now mere inches away from him, standing face to face. "I don't know what happened," He replied calmly. "I don't remember anything about the fight."

She grabbed his throat with her unoccupied hand and ferociously shoved him against the bathroom wall. Martin was jolted by the impact but kept his cool; he didn't want to hurt her by retaliating. He figured she just needed to blow off some steam. "Fucking Liar!" She raised her pistol to the side of Martin's head while applying more pressure to his throat.

"Really?" Martin replied while trying to talk through the choking. He felt the barrel of the pistol pressed against the side of his head, then heard the distinct *click* of the safety disengaging. Martin's demeanor changed; he started feeling his adrenaline pumping, forcing his heart to beat faster, and he began to feel warmer. Velpia seemed to notice the change. She saw it in his face. "Make a move, and I'll do it."

Martin felt her hand shake behind the gun; If she were human, he thought, he would say she was starting to get scared.

"Put the gun down; I won't ask again," Martin demanded, now furious.

Velpia pressed the gun harder into the side of his head, forcing him to cock his head to the side. "Or you'll do what?"

Martin's thoughts escaped him; his mind was empty; this was it.

In a blink, Martin lifted up his arms, the first making contact with her inner elbow of the arm at his throat. With his left hand, he grabbed the upper arm that held the gun. He then pushed himself off the wall with his back, grabbed her armor by the collar, and forced it towards him. He headbutted and tripped her, the gun barking off as she shot into the wall behind them. They both crashed to the floor; Martin lying on top of her had managed to grab her gun-armed wrist. He then placed his forearm on her throat but didn't apply much weight.