Chapter Ten: Between a Rock...

"Cease to hope and you will cease to fear."

Martin and Velpia looked at each other again for a fleeting second, surprised that Aria would spare them. Then again, Martin figured - to her, they were just mercs with no absolute allegiance to whoever they were working for. They must have impressed her in some way.

"I need someone found and taken care of; this... thing has been a pain in my ass for the last few months." Martin lowered his hand from the grenade on his chest.

"So, who's the target?" Martin asked with slight annoyance. Aria didn't seem to be impressed with his tone. She stepped forward towards Martin with a stern look. "Whoever it calls itself Ghost, I want him found, and I want him dead."

"Must have done something pretty serious to piss you off," Martin replied with a slight chuckle. Aria turned to take a seat on the center of the couch.

"The bastard has been doing everything to get on my nerves. I want him gone; that's all you need to know. And if you can't do it, Bray will see to it you both don't live long enough to regret it." The Batarian standing to Martin's right pulled his pistol from his waist and began to look at it as if to signal who he was. Martin paid him little mind as an uncomfortable realization came over him, and his heart sank into his gut, Ghost...  Velpia saw Aria's expression change in reaction to Martin's sudden silence, but she nor Aria commented on it.  He had to be hiding something. 

Aria dismissed them after they agreed to her terms; they had no choice. Martin thought he might have been able to throw the flash bang and leap off the balcony and onto the bar, but he'd probably be full of holes as he exited the door.

So they both agreed to the job and were signaled to leave Afterlife. Martin was still shaken from the conversation and headed back to the apartment.

Velpia began following him and quickly reached out and grabbed Martin's shoulder, forcing him to stop. "I don't think you've heard, but we need to work together on this. Can we just put what happened behind us and move on?  At least temporarily?"

Martin turned back towards her, "Let me handle this." Velpia moved her arm off him and walked in front of him to block him. "You don't even know who this person is, Martin, don't be stupid."

Martin gave a slight laugh and shook his head. "I know who Ghost is, Vee. Just stay out of my way, and I'll deal with it." Velpia was taken aback; he shouldn't really know anyone and couldn't have been dealing with the target for what little time had passed.

"Martin, who is it? This isn't the time for grudges." Martin looked at her and nodded his head but didn't answer. "Look, we need to work together; our lives depend on it. We can do this together, you can come back to the room, and we can figure this all out."

He rubbed this face with his hand, annoyed by the entire situation. He didn't quite know if he had it in him to do what needed to be done, what was being asked of him.  He was silent for a while, avoiding eye contact. He didn't want her getting in the way. "Alright, but if you try that stunt again-." She immediately cut him off. "I won't."

""""""""""""""""

They returned to the room after gathering Martin's things from the other apartment. He returned to his couch at the end of the room, removed his weapons, and placed them on the table.