Chapter Nineteen: Fickle Trust

"You aren't serious; you can't just walk around looking like that!" Velpia protested. "What's wrong with what I'm wearing?"

Velpia put her face into her hand. "First, we aren't technically allowed to open-carry our weapons besides our sidearms, and second, you look like you're about to storm the place. Lose the armor and the vest."

Martin threw his hands up in defeat, left for the bathroom, and removed his armor and combat vest. He emerged from the bathroom dressed as he would have back on Earth. Black hoodie, baggy Camo Cargo Pants, and combat boots. "You literally look no different." She said, exasperated as she shook her head. "So you're telling me what you're wearing isn't armor?"

"Nope, civilian clothes, it just has built-in Barriers." Velpia took his armor and removed the back plate that held his Kinetic barriers. She handed them to him, "Put this on under your shirt." Martin set the Plate down, removed his Hoodie, and put on the Barrier device. She watched him put himself back together and then grab the collapsed rifle he had rigged a sling too. He turned around, stuffed it down his pants to his thigh, and secured it. "Never knew you stuffed your pants," She said while peeking over his shoulder.

"I am not going to be caught off guard." He said while zipping his pants back up. Velpia laughed as she walked to the door. "You literally carry a hand cannon, and you still need a rifle?"

"Laugh all you want. We get into a firefight, and the pants gun will save the fucking day."

They left the apartment and headed down to the strip. Martin quickly felt uncomfortable with the crowd they were heading into; he felt exposed and vulnerable. Especially more so without his combat suit. It had become a part of him, a second skin, as he never entered a public space without it. He quickly changed his focus, trying to keep up with the long-legged Turian. "So you never mentioned you had a brother."

Velpia slowed down as she glanced at Martin, "And you've never mentioned your family."

"I think it's pretty obvious that they're all dead. Didn't think it needed an explanation." Velpia dismissed his sarcastic response and carried on walking. "You're such a jackass."

They walked through the crowded strip and headed to Chora's Den. Bailey was able to set them up with someone that knew where the Eclipse was operating on the Citadel. Martin was sure Bailey knew what they would do. He wasn't totally convinced that Bailey or C-Sec was going to allow a full-on firefight on the station, but he didn't see it going any other way; they weren't exactly the subtle pair.

When they arrived at Chora's Den, Martin quickly realized this wasn't a regular bar. He thought he should have been able to extract that from the name, but then again, he didn't expect such an establishment on such a station.

The bar was in the shape of a circle. The inner ring housed the circular bar; the outside had dancers and booths.

"I guess titty bars are a Universal constant," Martin commented as they took to a booth on the wall. They positioned themselves with their backs against the wall to fully view either side of the room. It wasn't Omega, but they were sure someone would be after them soon.

They waited for a few minutes before ordering drinks and relaxing. "Do you see anything you like here?" Velpia joked.

Martin slouched in his chair and looked around. "Nah, not my type."

"Surprising, I thought humans like Asari." Martin laughed while putting his drink back on the table. "Maybe today's humans, but in my day, if someone had a blue anything, that was an immediate nope."

Velpia cocked her head slightly to the side, trying to process his remark. "I don't wanna know."

Martin smiled as he looked up at the doorway. Velpia saw his face quickly change. His eyes opened slightly wider, and his smile turned more serious. She noticed his gun hand slowly slip under the table. A large Turian approached the table and stood at the end of their booth.