Chapter Twelve: Heaven's Castle

Date: March 3rd, 2183

System: Petra Nebula / Vetus System

Planet: Elysium / Illyria

"Why would any species want to settle on a planet this cold." Her voice transmitted through her helmet's radio. It was too cold for Velpia's liking; ever since they landed on the planet, she sealed off her suit and wore her helmet to keep the cold out. It worsened for her once they left the city and started into the mountains.

"It's not too bad; my ancestors thrived in these conditions." Martin didn't have the same reservations. He wore his hoodie over his armor with his combat vest. Eventually, he pulled his hood over his head to block the howling wind. His earpiece communication unit hung from his left ear and a microphone extended to the front of his face. "It has been a while since I've climbed a mountain, though."

The wind traveled forcibly at them, adding to the difficulty of their trip. Small bits of snow mixed with the wind blowing into Martin's face. Their path was snow-covered and rocky. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, and the snow was too bright, making it almost impossible to see without risking damage to their eyes. Velpia's helmet was perfect for dimming the light, but Martin had to rely on a pair of mirrored aviator sunglasses he purchased at a store in lIllyria, which she thought were ridiculous. Martin was leading, but only by a few feet; he paced himself not to tire out his partner. His genetic enhancements made it difficult to judge her stamina. "Humans are insane," she paused as she struggled with the deepening snow, "Who even likes this stuff?"

"Vee, how much further?" Velpia stopped to check her readings, "We are at three thousand meters. The last radio transmission was only about another one-hundred-fifty meters away from our position."

Martin looked up the mountain. There were only another thousand meters left until they reached the top. Whatever sent the radio signal had to be close.

"There's an outcropping off the side about ninety-three meters up." They headed toward the rocky area fighting against the wind and snow, climbed to the outcropping, and peeked around the corner.

"Looks like we got a cave entrance," she said as they set down their camping gear.

Martin was rushed by warm air coming from deeper within.

"There's something in here generating heat." He said while drawing his prized pistol.

The cave was ill-lit; he thought it was carved out with machinery. The walls and ceiling were too smooth to have been formed naturally. They rounded a bend and came to a door. Martin readied himself on the left side while Velpia took to the right. The large cavern room was empty except for some lighting equipment left behind.

"Don't tell me we came all this way for nothing." Velpia snipped while looking at the lights hanging from the ceiling. Martin removed his sunglasses then, tucked them away in his vest pocket, and walked the wall perimeter, taking note of any irregularities.

Velpia walked over to a large stone on the floor and sat down. The climb had tired her; if they weren't going anywhere soon, she would rest. She watched as he took out a flashlight and ran it across the wall as he walked, intently staring as he went.

"You've been unusually quiet since we came here." She shifted herself on the stone to follow his movement around the room. He didn't respond right away. He felt awkward being on Elysium, as if he didn't belong there. "It's been a while since I've been around so many other humans."

"I thought you'd be thrilled to be back among your people." Martin cracked a small smile hidden by the darkness of the cave. "How would you feel about going back to Palaven?" She dropped her head in silence. "That's what I thought."