ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1: ᴛʜᴇ ᴏꜰꜰɪᴄᴇ

You're in your office waiting for the call.

You have just solved the case and found out who was behind the robbery that led to the murder of a six-year-old girl.

In 2001, Jeremy Miller and three still-unknown accomplices robbed a jewellery store and, in an attempt to escape the police, they had taken a little girl hostage. The girl was shopping for jewellery with her grandmother, with which she wanted to surprise her mother. The robbers managed to escape from the scene with the girl.

Almost four days later, the police found the girl's body in the Hudson River.

After the incident, police were unable to find any DNA at the scene or on the girl's body. This had led to the case not being pursued.

The case has been unsolved for 22 years, you have managed to uncover the identity of one of the robbers, and now you are waiting for them to call you and tell you the good news that they have arrested him.

You are sitting in your office chair, going over the case again in your head, when you are startled by a knock on your office door. It's late in the evening, why would anyone still be at the station?

You open the door and find the chief in front of you.
"Come into my office for a moment, I'd like to talk to you".

You nod and close the door behind you.

You follow the old man into his office, worried that they haven't found him yet. As you enter his office, he closes the door behind you. "Have a seat (Y/N)." You do as you are told, and he also takes a seat at his desk, arcoss from you. "(Y/N) You are one of the best detectives I have ever met, and I want to congratulate you on your success. They have managed to arrest him and are currently processing him to jail".

You want to jump in excitement because all the hard work has paid off and you have finally proven to everyone that you are capable of solving such a case.

Your aunt would have been proud of you.

You shake hands with the chief, and before you had the chance to leave, he stops you, "Before you go, I want to make sure you get home safely tonight, after a case like this, I'd rather be sure you are safe, so I am going to send one of the officers to escort you home tonight, okay?"

You have no idea why you need an escort, but you do not question it, besides three of them are still on the loose.

He adds, "I'm aware what had happened to your aunt (Y/N), lets not have the same thing happen to you."

"On a good note, I want you to take a couple of weeks off, since it's safer and you need to prepare the evidence for court"

Before you leave his office, you thank him again and wish him good night. On your way back to your office, instead of feeling accomplished, you feel anxious because you haven't thought about your own safety.

You enter your office and start gathering your things for home until you hear the door open.
Jimmy walks in with a big grin on his face. "(Y/N) congrats on the case".

You smile, "Thanks Jim"

"The boss told me you need someone to take you home? Why?" He asks, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"He's concerned for my safety, I guess. He doesn't want the same thing to happen to me that had happened to Aunt Jenny."

Jim tilts his head "You can not blame him, I'd be worried about you too".

You close your briefcase, "I'm ready, can you take me home?"

.

.

The ride home was quiet, mainly because you read on your phone the article about the arrest.

You wish Jimmy a good night and enter your home.

You felt unsafe, you began to worry that the other three accomplices might come looking for you.

You could not sleep even if you tried, so you decided to stay awake, maybe you could contact someone to stay with you tomorrow night.

.

.

You had no idea that the moment you gave his details, your worst nightmare had just began.

__________________________ᴇɴᴅ ᴏꜰ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ_________________________