The New Family

My mother decided to stroll with her glass filled with Jack and Coke. I reluctantly followed her. It was a cold morning in Forks, the sky cloudy and grey. My worn-out black sweater swallowed my body.

There were a lot of afternoons like this. The last thing I wanted was for my mother to venture off and get lost in the woods, causing more embarrassment for me. I could only imagine a place where the sun always shines and never rains.

My mother, Renee, frequently threatened my father, Charlie, that she would leave him for a warmer climate and man. I wanted to travel to such a place, but I would never do so with my drunken mother.

"Bella," Renee slurred again. "Just go home!"

Renee looked like me if I were to turn into an alcoholic, spoiled brat. I wondered what our lives would have been like in an alternate universe.

I shouted, "I'd like to, but only if you come with me! You don't need to stumble around town!" 

I stopped being annoyed with her a long time ago. Now, all I felt was sadness. I felt as if my parents would both be better off without me. Maybe they wouldn't fight anymore.

"Did your father tell you to follow me?" She spun around and pointed her drink at me.

"No." I sighed. It repeated several times a month.

"I need to pick up something at the store quick! I'll be home soon!" Renee hiccupped and continued walking toward the bar.

"Fine. Whatever." I gave up.

I should have known better than to worry about her. I watched Renee stumble down the sidewalk for a few seconds before I walked back home.

On my walk back, it started to rain again. In the early days, Charlie chased Renee down the street. Now, he sits in his recliner.

I entered the house, and Charlie looked at me with the same depressing eyes.

Charlie was the chief of police in Forks. It embarrassed us to have a mother and wife like Renee.

"Did she go to the bar?" Charlie asked me, though he knew the answer.

"Yes." I sighed as I closed the front door.

"Did you get the oil changed in the thing yet? It's about due." Charlie turned on the TV.

Since his friend Billy sold me his old truck, Charlie nagged me about keeping up with maintenance. I nicknamed it the thing.

"Yes."

Most of our conversations were brief and to the point. We stared at the TV in silence. We waited for someone to call for one of us to pick up Renee.

After I returned home with Renee and put her to bed, I walked into my room. My private sanctuary. My room hadn't changed much since I was a child. But the once light blue walls turned dark red. The yellow curtains became blackout curtains.

One window faced the front yard, while the second one faced the trail that led to the forest on the side of our house.

The only thing I liked about my parents was that they didn't bother me. Although, that was also one of the reasons I didn't enjoy living with them anymore.

In Forks, everyone knew everyone their whole lives. I blended in too well in Forks. So well, no one ever noticed me. I couldn't even be considered one of the goths or emo kids. They at least stood out a little. Maybe if I had just moved to Forks from some strange big city, they would notice me, like the Cullens.

I lay in bed and stared at the ceiling. The only thing that seemed to stand out among my classmates was my clumsiness. I stood back whenever it came to any physical activity except walking.