The Witness

Last night was the most fun I had in a long time. I felt awkward sitting in the passenger seat of Dr. Cullen's car on the way to their house. I didn't know what to say to him after our awkward conversation at the hospital. 

Their home was a gorgeous house in the middle of the forest. I didn't realize there was such a big house tucked away. There were dozens of large windows, and a balcony hung over a creek. I would have loved a home like this.

The night was long. Part of me didn't want it to end. Alice and Rosalie dressed me up in their clothes like a doll. Emmett and Edward showed me a video game they played a lot. Jasper took me on a quick ride on his motorcycle.

My favorite part of the night was meeting their mom, Esme. She asked me a ton of questions about what my likes, interests, and dreams were. 

At first, it was hard to answer because I hadn't felt like doing the things I liked in a long time. I didn't have much for dreams since I couldn't picture my life after high school. But Esme encouraged me to think about what makes me happy, even if it was something small like my favorite snack.

We played board games after the delicious dinner Esme and Dr. Cullen made. It was very late before we all went to bed. For some reason, Alice showed me where everyone's rooms were. 

We walked into Edward's room. He had so many books lined up on shelves. Some of the books were medical. I hadn't realized he was interested in the medical field. There were baseball posters on one of the walls with a baseball bat mounted above them. I think his room was my favorite one.

Unfortunately, that was all last night. Tonight, I was back home. Everything was the same. Renee was passed out on the couch. I shut myself in my dark bedroom. 

Charlie came home late from work. Renee argued with him about being late. Charlie complained about Renee not getting any housework done. They started screaming, and I sneaked outside to walk on the trail.

I was in a better mood this time around. The memories of last night helped me get through another night of my parents fighting. But my good mood didn't last long.

As I walked on the trail, I heard voices getting louder. It sounded like my parents. But that was impossible. They couldn't have left the house after me and got ahead on the trail.

I slowed my pace as I tried to listen. I heard someone struggling. There was a slight bend in the trail. I swiftly hid behind a large tree off the side and saw two figures grabbing at each other.

They looked like teenagers. There wasn't enough light to see any detailed features. They definitely weren't my parents. The boy kept trying to get a hold of the girl. But she kept fighting him off and tried to run.

"Get off of me!" She screamed.

"You're not going anywhere!" He grunted as he grabbed her hands and pushed her back into a tree.

I could hear her skull crack. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to get involved. My life was already messed up as it was.

The boy leaned into the girl's face. It looked like he was trying to kiss her. The girl kicked his legs and spat in his face.

"You bitch!" The boy shouted.

Before I knew it, the girl stopped moving and made a strange gurgling sound. In the moonlight, I could see the boy had something shiny in his hand. He stepped back, and the girl's body fell limp and sprawled on the ground. The boy held the object up and studied it. I realized it was a knife.

I covered my mouth in shock. The boy had just murdered the girl. I couldn't believe what I had witnessed. I stood there and watched what the boy did next.

He walked over to some bushes and searched for something. Once he found whatever it was, he returned to the body. He stood and looked around. Then he walked to the other side of the trail. I could hear something hitting the ground.

I slowly tiptoed to another tree to get a better look. Luckily, the boy didn't seem to notice anyone else was there. I watched him shoveling. He must have planned on killing her for him to hide a shovel nearby, along with bringing a knife.

I continued to watch. I couldn't leave until the boy left first. When his back was turned, I could make out his shirt. It was a white baseball jersey. I couldn't make out the name. The first number looked like a three. The second number could have been an eight, nine, or even zero. I couldn't be sure.

After what felt like hours, he finally finished burying the girl. He then took off down the trail. I stayed hidden behind the tree for a little longer. I didn't want to risk running into him.

After his shoveling stopped, the silence was deafening. Everything was still. I couldn't hear the wind blow the leaves across the ground. The crickets even stopped chirping.

A few minutes later, I stepped out from behind the tree. I couldn't help but stare at the spot where he dug the grave. What now?