The Fight

"What the hell did you just call me?"

CLANG! CLANG!

There was Renee, throwing pans at Charlie again. I tossed and turned in bed. I just wanted to fall asleep and ignore the world. But Renee's screeching could wake someone up from a three-year coma.

"Calm the hell down, Renee! I don't need my deputies trampling over here!" Charlie shouted.

More shouting ensued. It was 11 p.m., and I had a biology test tomorrow. Luckily, the new guy, Edward, was a good lab partner. I had mixed feelings about being paired up with him, but I have gotten used to his little quirks.

The more shouting I heard, the more I wanted to escape. After another round of clanging, I got out of bed, threw shoes and a sweater on, and snuck downstairs.

They moved their fight to the bedroom. I quietly walked through the kitchen and headed for the front door. I noticed that at least Charlie's gun belt was still hanging up by the door. Charlie had to start taking the bullets out of the gun after work. One night, Renee decided to shoot at the trees while drinking.

I slowly shut the door behind me and walked to the woods. I loved walking on the trail at night. Charlie wasn't a fan. He often reminded me of the wolves or bears that could attack me. But I wasn't scared.

I strolled up the trail and listened to an owl calling nearby. I took a deep breath and calmed my body. Maybe after the walk, I could sleep well tonight, after all.

Two angry voices ruined my peace. There's no way it was Charlie and Renee out here. I looked around, but the only light came from half the moon hidden by clouds. I usually didn't worry about taking a flashlight with me. 

There was a large tree I jumped behind at the edge of the trail. The voices drew closer, and shoes crunched the leaves.

"Mike! Stop!" Victoria called out.

"Why should I?" Mike was angry.

"Listen to me. I told you nothing was going on." Victoria sounded like she was about to cry.

"I've seen you flirt with Edward several times in the last few months!"

"I'm just being friendly! He's new!"

"Ha! I have never seen you being that friendly to James when he moved here!"

Victoria started to cry. "I haven't done anything wrong."

"Jessica told me you and Edward were fooling around. Why would she lie to me about that?"

"You idiot! It's because she wants you for herself!"

"You're crazy! She's just a friend. I thought she was yours too." Mike scoffed and took off down the trail.

"Mike!" Victoria ran after him.

I guess my parents weren't the only couple to fight around here. When I couldn't hear them, I stepped back onto the trail and continued my walk.

I secretly hoped I would run into one of those wolves or bears, and they would eat me.

The next day, during biology, everyone was taking the test. I kept glancing at Edward and wondered if he and Victoria were hooking up.

Edward noticed me looking over at him.

"If you need the answers, you can just ask me." He smirked at me.

"Heh, no." I returned to my test.

After answering a few more questions, I looked over at him again.

"Are you and Victoria a thing?"

Edward choked. "W-what?"

"Are you and Victoria a thing?" I spoke slowly, mocking him.