Chapter 2

"Everyone, line up." The coach ordered. "As you probably already know..." The coach continued. "The national team has 3 opening spots, it is good for us. But only the top 24 can be selected to play in the team. So, until then, which is next week when we'll get our ranks back, we should practice well."

"Yes, coach." Everybody responded within a flash.

The following week was harsh, the training and the fencing games. But, I finally got to see Yu-rim fence, it was like she was in another entirely different world when she fenced. But the harsh training ended within a blink of an eye, it was then time to reveal our ranks. 

I could see the coach's face light up. "Wah... exactly 3 members of this team can go to the playoffs. First of all, Y/N in 8th, Yu-rim in 9th, and lastly Na Hee-do, placed 24th. Congratulations, guys and practice hard, okay?"

"Yes, coach!" The three of us shouted.

For the next month, I practised hard with Yu-rim, until playoffs. There were reporters all around the stadium. It was nerve-racking.

Yu-rim placed her hand on my shoulder. "You shouldn't be nervous. I'm sure you'll make the national team."

I looked at the stands, looking for anyone I recognize. But who am I kidding? Not even my dad cares. 

My first match, with 11th place fencer. I looked over at Yu-rim, and she gave me a small smile. I wore my gear before beginning the match.

The match quickly ended. It was 4 to 15. 

"Numbers 23, 21, 20, 18, 17, 16, 15, 11, 10, 7, 5 and 3 are eliminated. The next matches are as follows, 24 to 22. 19 to 14. 13 to 12. 9 to 6. 8 to 2 and 1 to 4. Please go to your separate courts." The announcer said through the intercom. 

I don't know if I should be glad that I was with number 2 and not with Yu-rim. But, a game is a game. The judges deliberately messed the top 9 up to see how we compare. This game is not as easy as the last one, I could feel it. But, it went by as quickly as the last one. 

12-15. 

"Numbers 22, 14, 13, 6, 2, and 4 are all eliminated. The next games are 24 to 19. 12 to 9 and 8 to 1. Please proceed to your courts." There was a sound of a click shortly after the message. 

"Hee Do, Yu-rim, Y/N. Good luck, all of you." Our coach shouted.

This match... was way longer than it was supposed to be. 14-14. Then, we kept doing simultaneous touch over and over again. Everybody was watching. 

*Beep*

Who was it? I looked at the score. 14-15. Salut. I ran to Yu-rim. She gave me a hug.

"Numbers 24, 9 and 8 have been selected for the national team, please proceed to the stands to meet your new coaches." The announcer said through the intercom. 

Together, Na Hee Do and Ko Yu Rim and I walked to the stands and shook hands with our new coaches while thousands of cameras flashed.

A few days later, we were offered our contracts before packing up our things to leave for our new national team. We were all in the same dorm. Na Hee Do didn't seem to really like me from the day I stepped into the classroom. Perhaps it was something I did wrong?

Before going to sleep in our new dorms, I took my medicine as usual. My abdomen swelled up a little, but I wasn't worried. Sometimes it was just like that when I take my medicine late. I switched off the lights before going to bed.