Prologue

vegas pov

i moved closer to the dark brown eyes in front of me, as if to peer into the soul. often people would avert from my sharp gaze. This one was challenging me back with a twinkle in his eyes, instead. I shifted my weight locking him in the corner with my arm at his right side. Both our breaths were getting laboured up.

"Get away from me, vegas"

"Can't you hear me ? move aside! Are you trying to intimidate me ??"

"You look like an idiot rn, who can't even speak" He smirked bitterly.

Ah i'm in trouble. And the source of that trouble Is this man right here.
The more i corner him, the more he corners me mentally. This face that has morphed itself into the most beautiful things i've seen. How does such a pretty mouth mock someone so well?

I want to kiss him. No i want him to punch me... ...again. Or wait i should just choke him.
Calm down my horny ass, first.

"You seem to be doing well, Pete" Not a speck of regret for bawling my brains out and leaving behind my back from the safehouse. Was it all in my head ?

"You, on the other hand, look like a beaten dog, Vegas" He reported matter-of-factly.

Does he know that's because he abandoned me ? Wait, did i just refer to myself as his dog ?

"And who's fault is that ?" I recollected my thoughts.

"Your own, for treating me like shit- " Pete replied. I caught his neck with my left hand on instinct. He gasped and his glare lessened. This unruly mouth, those puckered lips...

"You like it though, pete..Stop lying to yourself. " He gripped my collar in defense, daring me to act further.

I was going way too out of my reach here. Internally i was desperate to believe this narrative. That we had something special. that someone was a jig-saw fit for a piece of this horrible puzzle.
i was hungry for control and pete was a genius at steering that hunger of mine for the better. This was better than a lottery.. it was a chance meeting that i didnt think ever existed in my lifetime.

"Try and hurt me, vegas. I dare you." Tears were forming at the corners of his eyes , the very eyes that hold the stars for me.
As much as I loved to see him suffer, i never wanted to break you like this, pete.

My mouth met his before he could let out a whimper. I tasted a sob and debated pulling back in absence of any response.

Suddenly yet firmly he grabbed the back of my head and returned the kiss, with incomprehensible intensity. My hand moved to the small of his back. Recalling his taste and his smell, my heart lit up.

MORE . I want more of this. I want to feel you always, keep touching you. Don't run from me you idiot-

Suddenly a streak of pain struck me at my stomach and i jolted away from pete. A small knife stuck into my abdomen and the hilt was in his hands. The shirt started to feel wet around the wound's edges, slowly. Still unable to register i placed my hand on the hilt too.

Did he mean to? Is this a nightmare ? The only person i tried to trust betrayed my heart ?

" Why, pete ?"