Chapter 2 | Potions

*-ϟ --ϟ-

I open the grand hall doors.

Took a while to find.

I see Mattheo gesturing to me from the Slytherin table. I look around every table from left to right. All my friends were either in conversation or trying to lure me over. The Ravenclaw table was almost silent. Some girl on the Hufflepuff table smiles at me. I then glanced at the Gryffindor table.  Harry's blood-spattered face caught my attention. The Weasley girl, damp napkin in hand, begins to dab his face, which Harry ends up taking from her.  Just then, the light in the Hall begins to dim gently and all eyes turn to Dumbledore, standing at the top of the Hall, ashen hand raised to the enchanted ceiling, where clouds respond to his gestures and shroud a gleaming full moon. I dash over to Mattheo. 

"What the fuck do I do?" I ask, whispered.

"I don't know. Just wait till he calls you up, princess?"

"The very best of evenings to you! First off, please join me in welcoming the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn," Dumbledore says.

Mild applause ensues. 

"Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post of Potions master. Meanwhile the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be assumed by Professor Snape."

This is greeted by stunned silence. Dumbledore frowns, then attempts to generate something by clapping his hands once. A few Slytherins join in and some dim-witted First Years. Draco looks away. 

"Now, please welcome our new student, Y/n L/n," Dumbledore states.

I look around.

"Please come to the front," he says and I do so, "Incredible for you to join us. I assume you've already been sorted?"

"Uhm, nope..."

"Ahh, well, we will tend to that after. Go join any table."

Mattheo beckons me over with his hand as does Harry.

Shit.

My eyes dart around.

"Just sit at the Hufflepuff table, for now, there's a seat next to Carla," Dumbledore states.

"Okay, thanks!"

Who is Carla?

A girl raises her hand and I sit by her.

"Normally, we wouldn't allow students to join older years, especially not in these conditions we are faced with however, Y/n will definitely be a model student. Now, moving on, as you know, each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival tonight. You have a right to know why.  Once there was a young man who, like you, sat in this very Hall. Walked this castle's corridors. Slept beneath its roof. He seemed, to all the world, a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle."

The hall goes utterly silent. A few eyes land on Mattheo and he rolls his eyes.

"Today, of course, the world knows him by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I am reminded of a sobering fact. Each day, every hour, this very minute perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle. But in the end, their greatest weapon remains... you."

I peer over to Draco, he is slouched low, lazily levitating a fork with his wand, as if Dumbledore were unworthy of attention. 

"Just something to keep in mind. Now, off to bed. Pip pip!" 

As we stand up Carla says, "Hey,  so, what house do you think you'll be in?" she asks, smiling.

"Slytherin," I reply.