17. The Big Call

Calling the next morning stressful was a huge understatement. You arrived with Benowitz and Melissa in the same car. As if that wasn't enough, you were squeezed next to Benowitz the whole drive to the courtroom. Clutching your document briefcase, you felt dirty and drowning in your own sweat. In the building, those two left you alone, saying that they'll meet you in the courtroom. You strolled towards the coffee machine, trying to remember what arguments in Melissa's favor you wrote yesterday, but your mind was foggy on it - having fallen asleep on your stack of papers, you felt terrible, and the only thing that could help you was a cup of coffee.

Life liked making jokes on you, and the biggest one was Nelson and Murdock in the flesh standing near the coffee machine.

"If we win, I'm sure we're getting a nice sum, Matty." Foggy nudges Matt's shoulder and leans on the nearest wall.

Matt nods, visibly distracted and focused on another things - you. His nostrils filled with the smell of your perfume - so simple, yet so elegant and expensive, just like you. Your heartbeat speeds up, he has entered your vision field. Suddenly Matt forgot how to properly function, and-

"Mr Nelson, unexpected to see you here today." You smile politely at Foggy and briefly turn to look at Matt. "Mr Murdock." Now that you've come closer, he's able to smells cigarettes you smoked this morning. He wasn't an expert but he was guessing that you've smoked 3.

Matt nods. "Miss Y/l/n." There is a shift in his tone. You notice how he licks his lips after saying your name and you push the briefcase harder into your chest.

"Miss, what exactly are you doing in court today? I was pretty sure you had no cases scheduled." Foggy breaks the ice, after Matt fails to say something.

"I'm here with boss, actually. Benowitz decided that it would be best for me to participate today as his partner." You say and drop some coins into the machine. "You guys confident in winning today?" You ask the person standing closest to you - Foggy, not turning your head towards them, as to not raise any suspicions for Melissa or Benowitz. Matt hears you more than clear - you lack confidence, you're even scared. That was uncharacteristic for you, as you've always been confident and strong for as long as he remembered. Did Benowitz threaten you?

"Oh, someone's definitely afraid of losing. Well, sorry for anything we might do to your client." Foggy cracks a smile and downs the last bit of his coffee, leaning forward to drop the cup in the bin and getting closer to you. "Thanks for the photo, by the way, it takes the balls I don't have to do what you did." He says in a hushed tone quickly, not staying close to you more than necessary to throw the cup away.

"Yeah, yeah, of course." You mutter and take your coffee, ready to leave this place, but Foggy is quicker to make his exit.

"See you in a couple-" He says to both you and Matt, and chases a familiar blonde head heading for the entrance.

You want to leave without announcing yourself, and hoping to fool a blind man, but Matt quickly closes the distance between you, "what happened?" You already started shaking your head when he adds, "we still have time, meet me in the bathroom... Please." He leaves, and you mentally slap yourself for following him there.

When you close the doors of the bathroom, you see that Matt is already in his "interrogation" pose, leaning on the wall near the sinks. "It's empty."

"What do you want?" You sigh, keeping your distance between the two of you, but moving away from the entrance.

"What happened? You weren't supposed to participate."

"Benowitz took me with him, that's it." You put your cup on the sink and lean on it.