Thirty-Five

Aether was nervous pacing back and forth, back and forth. He didn't know what to wear, how to look. Paimon sighed shrugging as Xiangling looked at her.

"Traveler, is this event really a big deal?" Xiangling asked and Aether stumbled over the clothes strewn over the floor.

"Ack?!" He popped right up and looked at her, "It is! I don't know what to wear!"

"Hm, you said it was just a casual event, why not go in what you normally wear?" She smiled suggesting it.

Paimon agreed, "Paimon thinks so too, it's a little odd to get an invitation so late at night. Man, that client must be something!"

"Uuhhh...." Aether sighed a mess, his hair needed brushing, he needed to wash up, and worst of all, he wasn't sure he had anything to fit the date Xiao had asked him on. "Th-this can't get any worse! I told them it was client who invited me out... and now I can't even bring myself to tell them the truth!" He sighed getting up and picked up the mess first. "What should I do?"

"Oh! We should get going Paimon!" Xiangling glanced at the position of the sun.

"Ah! Yeah the stalls might close early!" She agreed, "Traveler, we're leaving now!"

"Ok." He smiled, "Have fun!"

"You too! Don't forget to yell for Xiao if things get tough!" Paimon and Xiangling waved leaving the room.

"I won't have to yell... he'll be right next to me the entire tiiiime!!" He internally screamed throwing the clothes back on the floor. "Would he be upset if I.. went like I usually do?" He wondered, "We won't be fighting anything right?"

Now curious he sat up and looked at the mess he made. Sighing he picked it up folding the clothes and putting them away in his bag.

After tidying up the room he decided to take a stroll. Wearing his usual top and pants without all his armor and high boots he shuffled around in the bag getting his comfy tai chi shoes Paimon and he got for himself a while ago. Slipping into them he brushed his hair back washing his face and going out.

A stroll was refreshing, he made sure to have his wallet in case he needed to buy something downstairs. He waved to Verr Goldet who smiled at him. Then waved to the Innkeeper too thanking him for letting them stay often. Taking the elevator down he walked along the path leading toward Liyue Harbor, but stopped on the bridge leaning against the rail looking out at all the mountains and hills. The coursing river below running along to eventually greet the sea.

He smiled to himself, "Xiao's come so far.. he's much more open than he was before." After enjoying the sights for a bit he walked along the path again taking in a deep breath and exhaling. Feeling happy he cast his gaze toward the sky. "He won't admit it, because he's afraid I'll get hurt if we get too close, but still he loves me too. It really surprised me...." Along the river bank he chuckled seeing a frog hop into the water swimming around. Squatting down he watched it a while. "I was so scared.. I.. but I'm glad I didn't just force my feeling on him. I wonder how long he's felt the same."

Upstraight he followed the path again seeing a tree with sunsettias picking one to eat he washed it in the river and took a bite. Sweet, and a bit juicy, it still had a little time before it was ripe. Not minding he ate it anyway, a good snack to keep his stomach occupied, especially for whatever Xiao had planned.

"Hm..." he now thought of the relic as he looked at the sky again. "Zhongli said the relics were meant to be toys for kids. But is that really all they were made for? The archons.... They've... never led me astray before, right? The things I can't remember.. How was I even so confident in the first place?" He slouched sighing as he could only come up with questions. "Zhongli.. he seemed upset? No, he was... hiding something?" Thinking of Zhongli's behavior he sighed moving on, "I'm sure they have their reasons. Hm, did Zhongli tell Xiao something? Is that why he's being so open about how he feels now? Or...." Aether stopped and dropped his gaze to the ground. "Do I... not have a lot of time left? Is that why... he's doing this?"