Chapter 45 - Umbara

Author's Note: Thank you, loldelegate! :)

~ Amina Gila

Ahsoka still can't believe the peace process fell apart so completely, and she doesn't know what to do about it. At least not anything more than she ever did.

It still fills her with anger that they were so close, and the Senates themselves all willingly chose to throw the opportunity away. And doing what she did last time isn't going to work again. If she wants to bring peace to the galaxy, she's going to have to do it a different way. Especially when she's beginning to question how effective the Senate leadership ever will be.

But for now, all she can do is turn her focus back to the fight, the way she always has.

Thus far, Umbara has proved to be little more than a death trap. The 501st has been doing nothing but stumbling blindly into one ambush after another, and Ahsoka's frustration is growing. Tarkin is here with the Malevolence, which is helping in the space battle, but that's not going to do any good on the ground, which is where she is right now.

Anakin and Obi-Wan are on the ground with her, but it's her job to cut through enemy lines so they can make it to the capital somehow.

Which is proving to be quite challenging.

Her frustration has reached its highest point when a squad of fighters and gunships come down to save them from another ambush – something she should've seen and been prepared for itself. The lead gunship lands in front of her and Rex and the doors slide open to reveal a towering Besalisk Jedi Master – General Krell. Ahsoka has never met him before, but she's still heard of him. His tactics are harsh, much like hers, though a bit more reckless at times, but he gets the job done. She respects him for that.

"General Krell," she greets him politely, "Thank you for the air support."

"Indeed, General Tano," he replies.

"Why did you come down here?" she inquires. A dark part of her mind is wondering if this is another step by the Council to have someone to watch over her constantly. She already knows they don't trust her, and the feelings are mutual.

"The Council has ordered you back to Coruscant, effective immediately," he replies, "You are to be sent on another important mission. The details are classified."

Ahsoka blinks in confusion. This doesn't make any sense. "Why? What for?"

"As I said, the details are classified," he repeats, "They did not tell me."

"Either way, I can't just leave my men out here," she objects.

"I'll be taking over in the interim," he assures, "But if you desire to take some of them back with you, that will be your decision to make."

She... probably will, if she needs to go on another mission elsewhere. It's obviously something secretive and important.

"Don't worry about us, ma'am," Rex reassures, "We'll be fine. We'll have the city under Republic control by the time you're back."

"I know you will," she replies. "If this is as important as it sounds, I'll take a squad out to deal with it."

"Domino squad?" Rex suggests. "They're the best."

"Yes," she replies with a nod. Silently, Ahsoka can only hope this is the right decision. She'll need help elsewhere if it's really so important, though Umbara is also a major player in the war. Hopefully it will be worth it.

***

The communications to Krell's forces still aren't going through, Obi-Wan observes with no small measure of irritation, as they press their next attacks on the Umbaran capital. It would far easier if they could coordinate, but clearly, that isn't an option now.