Chapter 3: Whispers in the Ether

"Sorry, I'm late," El said Janet greeted her at the door of June's mansion. "Yvonne and I needed to resolve a catering emergency. How much have I missed?"

"Nothing," Janet assured her. "Sara's showing Diana around upstairs. June and I have been sketching ideas. We're meeting in the dining room."

Refreshments were set out on the sideboard, and El helped herself to one of Emil's amaretto biscotti. Now that the workmen were gone, June's house was once more an island of serenity.

One of the best parts about Mozzie moving into the mansion was that Janet and June had become close friends. Janet had sold her co-op in Chelsea and moved many of her furnishings into her and Mozzie's suite on the second floor. The best term El could come up with for the style was Bohemian Naturalist.

Now that the Uptown Girls Club was fast becoming a reality, Janet and June worked in tandem on the project. Between June's connections in the jazz and music world, and Janet's in the theater community, supporters and funding were more than adequate.

"Sara and Diana should come downstairs shortly," June said. "While we wait, let's prioritize the areas we'd like to focus on."

As El read through the list of activities planned for the girls club, she was amazed at the diversity. Janet was a mentor for sewing and fashion design classes. Sara had offered to assist her. Maggie Feng could help with martial arts, but were there any volunteers for the STEM subjects?

June laughed. "I know what you're thinking—we're being much too ambitious. Perhaps I should have written at the top that this is an aspirational list."

"But one that's achievable," Janet insisted. "Sara's promoting the club at Win-Win. We've also approached Columbia University and Barnard College. We hope to develop intern programs for undergrads to work with the girls. Angela is spearheading the college angle. She's excited about the possibilities for ethnomusicology, especially with the younger girls."

El studied the list of volunteers who'd already signed up. Many of the names she recognized. Besides Neal's cousin Angela, Diana's girlfriend Dr. Christie Vintner was also on the list. She signed up for biology. Ellen had volunteered to help with computer skills. Sofia Winston, who shared leadership responsibilities with Henry, and Anna Hsu, the leader of the technical team, had also expressed an interest.

"I noticed you have a line about TV production," El said. "What's that about?"

"It's one of our latest ideas and a way to maintain financial solvency," Janet said, refilling her coffee cup from the silver urn. "We'd like to launch a cooking show for kids. Once our building is ready, it will be produced at the club. The show will give the girls a chance to acquire hands-on experience with TV production."

"One of the board members at the Jazz Museum works at the Arts and Discovery Network," June said. "She believes the network will be interested in developing it. We'd wanted to include a cooking school anyway at the club."

"We recognize we'll need a professional staff," Janet said. "Not just to run the school but to lead the various departments. We'll also hire a professional to host the cooking show."

"Do you have anyone in mind?" El asked, tamping down her eagerness to apply. Wasn't she already over-extended? Still, it was a dream position, and she'd love to work with children.

"We hope you'll consider it," June said.

El gaped at them. When had they become mind readers?

"You're perfect for the job," Janet added. "It would also be good publicity for your company. You're a natural in front of the camera and your outgoing personality would make you a hit with both the girls and a broader audience."