Chapter 7: A Life of Intrigue

Neal and Sara's loft. Friday, January 19, 2007.

Sara arrived home later than usual after a long day of meetings. Her interview with Diana was the bright spot. Diana was enthusiastic about her proposal to split leadership responsibilities. Henry and Sofia had already signed off on the concept. Diana didn't have experience in leading a team but her personality and skill set made her a natural. By dividing responsibilities, both of them would have manageable workloads.

Now, if she could just keep Henry from signing up any additional clients till Diana was in place.

Neal had texted her he'd heard from Klaus and had already spoken with Henry and Peter. She found him in the living room.

"Are we celebrating?" she asked, noting the bottle in the wine bucket on the bar counter separating the kitchen from the living area.

"No, this is serious con planning," he insisted. "Are you ready for international intrigue?" he murmured in her ear as he helped her slip out of her coat.

"Anytime, anywhere," she murmured back. "Do you have a specific destination in mind?"

"Check the wine bottle," he urged, a cocky smile on his face.

She studied the green bottle. The label appeared handwritten. "Grüner Veltliner? I'm not familiar with it, but the text is German and a castle is on the label. Is it Bavarian?"

"You're close. It's Austrian."

"As in Vienna? Or Salzburg?" Her mind raced ahead. This was high season in Vienna. Did she need to go on an emergency shopping spree?

Neal placed his arms around her waist and twirled her around. "Have you heard of the Vienna balls?"

"We're going to one?"

"We're scheduled to attend the Confectioners' Ball in the Hofburg Palace. It's one of the most formal balls of the season."

"You'll need to wear tails," she pointed out, already picturing how handsome he'd look.

"And you'll have the onerous task of shopping for an appropriate ballgown." He paused to pour her a glass of the light amber wine. "I know you think I bribed Klaus but this was entirely his recommendation."

She was familiar with the ball season in Vienna. She'd read descriptions of the elaborate protocol, dress codes, and elegant settings, but she'd never imagined she'd go to one. And this was work-related?

Neal had prepared a trout schnitzel with lemon-chili butter to get her in the mood as if she needed any encouragement. Over dinner, he explained the details Klaus had provided.

"One of Klaus's contacts supplied him with a tip on Bernhard Ender. Klaus thinks he's the man Leonardo referred to as Star. Ender is the Minister of Arts and Culture for Austria, a cabinet-level position."

"And he's involved with forgeries? That's hard to believe."

Neal nodded. "But it could also provide him with an ironclad cover. Klaus sent out feelers that he's cultivated a successor to Leonardo. My code name is Francesco."

"What's the significance of the name?" Because she knew with Klaus, there had to be one.

"Francesco Melzi was apprenticed to Leonardo da Vinci at a young age and remained with him till Leonardo's death. Francesco wrote that Leonardo was like a father to him." Neal shrugged ruefully. "I'm just grateful Klaus didn't use Lion Cub."

"Are there any theories as to why Ender would engage in extortion?"

"Are you sure you want to hear them all? Mozzie is convinced Ender is using the proceeds to fund his secret lab."