Chapter 48

I wasn't lying when I told Loki that I have memorized pages from the Darkhold. My magic can't exit this space but working inside of it is just enough for now.

By my calculations, it must be late at night and he is probably asleep. He has been having nightmares lately and I was there to comfort him, but tonight I want to scare him more.

Many dreams -if not all- are windows into the multiverse, they are gateways to observe other versions of yourself in alternative universes. So, let's see what Loki's dreaming about tonight.

I take position and I close my eyes. The first sneak peeks from other universes appear in front of me. I scan every single one without leaving traces behind.

There you are...

He's in a universe that is earlier in time. On the night before our wedding. Everything looks as I remember. We are sitting at the gazebo and he is a few lines away from suggesting we do our vows here tonight.

I take over my variants mind pretty easily and without disturbing Loki. He has his arm wrapped around me, and my head is rested on his shoulder.

"I do not care what happens tomorrow or what anyone says. I love you and will always love you with my whole heart, nothing will ever change that" he says and kisses my head.

I bite the inside of my lip to keep myself from blowing up on him. But that doesn't last long.

"So, you loved me with your whole heart when you locked me in the dungeon?" I ask calmly as I remain in his arms

"I would never do that to you, darling".

I chuckle and I pull away from him.
"See, old me would definitely eat this up... But recent evidence suggest otherwise"

"What evidence?" he looks confused

"You're a smart boy, figure it out" I smile. "Oh, how fun will it be to destroy you in this universe? But I don't think it will give me the same satisfaction..." I admit.

And he's gone...

I stay and the scene goes on as it is supposed to. For a moment, I wanted to stop the wedding and take my variant away. But something inside of me couldn't do it. I remember that night like it was yesterday. I tear up even at the thought of it.

So, I stepped back and let my variant have this moment. I hate to admit that I cried during our vows, again. We were so in love. How did we get here?

Out of nowhere, I am pulled out of that universe and I collapse on the floor of the cell. I am still a crying mess from the other scene, but my eyes find Loki.

He is burning the Darkhold in front of me. "No!" I scream, but the wall stops me from hitting him. "Stop!" I yell as I keep hitting the walls with as much power as I have in me.

My emotions are all over the place. I am upset, sad and most of all angry! I use that anger to break through the magic walls of the cell.

As the book burns, and just for a moment, Loki's runes deactivate. That's all I needed. I make my way out and I grab the book. But it's too late. It is charcoal.

I am furious now. I turn to Loki "What have you done?!" I ask

"It's over" he says.

I capture him and I throw him through the wall. I walk out of the room and I find him as he get back up.

"Why aren't you just minding your own business, King?" I ask, getting ready to hit him with one more shot

"Because I will not let you drive yourself crazy" he answers

"I am not crazy!"

"Sure..." he says and disappears. Illusion, of course...

I fly out from the first window I find into Asgard's nighttime sky. I take a moment to look around for him. That's when the Bi-frost opens.

Without thinking twice, I travel there. Sure enough, he is waiting for me. He wants to get me away from here but I don't care. I can get him wherever he goes.

"I am not crazy!" I insist as soon as I see him

"I heard you. I just don't believe you".

He opens the Bi-frost and leaves. I follow him and end up on Sakaar. More specifically, at the dumpster part of it.

"I. Am. Not. Fucking. Crazy!" I yell so he would here from wherever he is hiding

"I brought you back! I had everything planned out for us! I was keeping us safe! I--" I catch a glimpse of something moving so I throw a shot.

"I did everything!" I get him this time.

"You destroyed everything!" I land in front of him

"You locked me in the dungeons!". I hit him again.

"You dumped me there!". Again.

"You burned the only thing that could save us!".

He doesn't find me, he only defends himself.

"You ruined everything!".

"That was everything to you?" he finally speaks. "I am not going to fight you, Josephine. I am not going to hurt you"

"I don't care. I hate you!".

I throw a few small hits for distraction and them the biggest one yet.

Quite.

Still furious, I walk to him. He is laying with his back to me and he is not moving. I turn him towards me and I see blood coming out of his head and chest. He was impaled--

My heart sinks. Tears fill my eyes again. The anger fades and suddenly I realize what is happening.

"Loki...?" I whisper

What have I done?

"No, Loki..." a sob escapes my lips this time.

I fall to my knees in front of him. My hands shake as they approach him but at the last moment I pull them back. I hold them to my chest as tears run down my cheeks.

No, I have done enough. I will probably hurt him more if I touch him.
I... I have destroyed everything...

~ Did you have to ruin
What was shining? Now it's all rusted...