Chapter 19

Josephine's POV
Jane started talking about our NASA project and got me busy with that, in her attempt to take my mind off the heartbreak, which worked.

We were reviewing the resumes of the people that have applied to be in the team, when the hair on the back of my neck suddenly stood up. And within two seconds, there is a knock on the door.

I shake off that weird feeling as Jane goes to check who it is. She looks through the security camera and mouths 'courier' at me.

She opens the door. "Hi"

"Hello, I am looking for Dr. Josephine Larsen" the male voice from the other side replies

"I can pass whatever it is on her" she says

"Actually, I need Dr. Larsen's signature".

I sigh and I get up. But as soon as I see who is on the other side, I freeze.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, as tears already start forming in my eyes

Jane looks back and forth between us.
"You know each other?" she asks

"Wh-- Are you kidding me?".

For a moment, I notice the live footage of the security camera from the screen that is on the wall next to the door.

The screen shows a man I don't recognize. Looking at the doorway, I see Loki standing. Their moves match, but their appearances do not.

"Fascinating..." he says and takes a step inside. I take a step back.
"You can see right through my illusion".

At that moment, I think he turns down his illusion because the tingle on the back of my neck disappears and Jane almost jumps.

"I have been looking for you" he admits

"I don't know what else you want from me, but I am done giving in" I cross my arms in front of my chest.

"Let me be more specific, I have been looking for something I think you took with you when you left Asgard"

"If you say your heart, I'm going to throw up"

"No" he chuckles, but it has an oddly sad tone to it.
"Before I proceed, I believe you should ask Dr. Forster to leave us alone for a moment. She won't like what I'm about to say" he says

"I'm not going anywhere" Jane says

"She's not going anywhere" I confirm.

"Alright..." he rests his back against the wall and crosses his arms in front of his chest. The fabric around biceps struggles to not rip open.

He looks at Jane. "Dr. Foster, after Josephine left Asgard, Aria's crown disappeared. Who could have taken it?" he asks and looks back at me.

Fuck!

"I have no idea what you're talking" I lie.

He smiles and tilts his head, not believing me. I look away and I take a deep breath.

"Jane, leave us for a few minutes"

"But--"

"Jane, please".

She nods and grabs her jacket. "10 minutes" she says and leaves.

It's just me and Loki now. My heart is racing and I can't take my eyes off him.
"Let's try that again" he says as he takes a few steps towards me but I back away again.

"I brought the crown to your room, I used it to bring you back, and because I walked away upset, I forgot about it there" he reminds me

"Well, then, that sounds like your problem. What happened? Does daddy blame you again and now you're trying to prove yourself by blaming it on me?".