9

It scared me how much Ken and I were getting along. We hadn't argued for a total of 48 hours; a world record.

Mateo and I watched as my brother kicked around a soccer ball with Milo and Lani—they looked delighted to be getting their asses handed to him by Ken's team of 1. He was cheating my poor babies. "He's somethin' else." Teo chuckled, glancing over at me from across the patio table.

"Yeah. He seems like he's trying to get on the right path though," I sent him a faint smile. We were talking about my brother like he was our oldest son; sometimes it felt like he was though. "He's got this new job thing goin' on." I left out the juicy bits.

"Does he have to crash here though?" Mateo didn't even try to hide his annoyance. My husband massaged his temples, his eyes lingering on Ken as he roughhoused with our oldest son. I was getting really tired of his nagging ass.

"For one, he can stay here for as long as he wants," I narrowed my eyes. "He's my brother and if he needs help, I'm going to help. Period." I quickly drew this line in the sand—he can control a lot of things but not this. Not blood.

"That's not the issue, Babe," Teo groaned lowly. "I love Ken like he's my own brother; it's just...do you think it's smart to have company over while we're working through our issues?"

"He's only been here for two days. You act like he has a U-Haul truck pulled in the damn yard." I hissed. He simply rolled his eyes.

Luckily, the sound of my phone vibrating sliced through this annoying ass conversation. The contact name filled my stomach with a pit of anxiousness yet excitement.

Daniel
Now do I finally get the luxury of knowing you?

I bit back a grin at his flirtatious message and glanced up at Teo who'd been in his own world, still watching the kids enjoy their uncle. I felt so sneaky knowing that I was still talking to Daniel; maybe this is why Teo was a sly bastard. The excitement of something new is almost exhilarating. It's something about being chased and wanted when you've spent a good bit of time feeling quite the opposite.

I thought of a witty response.

You are very persistent.

Daniel had been clouding my mind for majority of these two days. I'd be a liar to say I didn't want to be around him more but I love Teo and I don't want to be like him. I don't want to drag people in the middle of our drama or create this disgusting love triangle. Besides, knowing that they were colleagues made it a lot more messier.

His response was a lot quicker than mine.

Daniel
I go for everything I want. How do you think I got this far?

Daniel
...All I'm missing is you

Tuh. I nearly rolled my damn eyes. Now he was really selling it.

Why me?

Daniel
Why not? You're attractive, a good father, classy, kind but mistreated. I hate seeing good things getting mishandled

I opened the message and slid my phone back in the pocket of my robe when I couldn't think of something to say back. I didn't get him—what was the catch? You don't just stumble across someone at the shopping mall and suddenly want them.

He used to be Teo's friend. Was this the plan all along? Sneak into his life to find a way to get to me? And when that didn't work, he preyed on poor Ken.

I hope not.

Because I was falling right into his trap.

"Daddy! Come play with us." I turned towards the large yard and noticed that Mateo had joined them. I sent them a smile and stood up.