14. A Forest

A Forest

In the back of his limousine, Axel puts his hand on Scarlett's black shoulders and whispers in her ear: "Why do we need the kid? You and me. We work out the details. Nice and juicy."

"The kid stays.", Scarlett says, surly. She removes the hand and puts it where it belongs: between Axel's legs, so he can play with himself.

For the rest of the trip, we keep a deadly silence. Scarlett looks outside. Axel looks at Scarlett. Facing them on the opposite seat of the limousine, I try to remember our route in case when we have to walk back later.

We stop for a few seconds, and then we enter a forest of ancient oaks. Through the rear window, I watch how a steel entrance gate shuts the gap between two high, concrete walls, and then we lose track among the trees. It's the best example of protection of natural environment I've seen in years; nobody can touch this forest, and nobody can get out of it either.

A few minutes later, we park in front of a mansion, surrounded by a well-maintained garden. The driver helps us step out of the car and even opens the front door for us. There are hav'ers and do'ers. He's a do'er.

Axel shows us to his library. He invites us to sit in one of the red-leather chesterfield armchairs, while he walks to the bar in the corner to pour himself a drink. "Do you want water? Wine? Whisky? Something stronger?", he laughs.

He turns around with the tumbler in his hand. His laughter stops immediately. He can't see the joke: "What's this?"

"This is something stronger.", Scarlett explains: "We don't want anything from you, Axel. On the contrary: I have a strong desire to give YOU a present, completely for free. It's a free sample of our merchandise, and I'll supply you with it as long as you want."

Scarlett gives him her most luscious smile, while she holds up a tiny plastic bag that contains a white powder. With her deep voice, she whispers: "Come close and see. Find the girl, if you can. Run. Into the trees. Hear her voice. She's calling your name. The sound is deep. In the dark. Start to run. Again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again..."

Her hypnotising voice and the dangling drugs have a strange effect on Axel. He wants her, but he knows she's seducing him. Giving in will destroy him forever, but he can't resist. Scarlett is irresistible. He takes a step forward. Stops. Tries to step back.

Scarlett smiles, sensual, turns around, looks over her left shoulder and, while she holds the drugs high in her right hand, she slaps her left hand on her big, black butt, while she says: "Come, Axel. Give me a hand with THIS!"

Axel drops his glass, roars like a lion, and starts running.

I tackle him, of course; nobody hurts my partner.

One second later, he's kissing the floor. I push his arm up behind his back, making him scream. With my other hand, I show him my Makarov.

"You're killing me? You want money? I don't have cash."

"I'm going to destroy your life like you've destroyed mine. You've taken away my job, my house, my life...", Scarlett says, with a tone that gives me the creeps.

Even now, lying on the ground, with me and the Makarov on top of him, Axel keeps his attitude of Mister Cool: "You can't destroy me. I'm a hav'er. You can't take my company. It's a name. It's a mailbox. The law protects me. Go ahead. Burn my house. It's insured for 150%. I'll make a profit. You can't hurt me. I own the world. I'm invincible. You're jobless. You need to eat, drive a car, use a phone, pay a mortgage. I give you that job. Or I take it away. I own your mortgage, sell you that car, and that food, and that phone. I'm the hav'er. You're the do'er. The more you spend, the more you depend. On me. You can overpower me now. But my real power lies in what I have. What I own. Everybody loves me. Because everybody loves my money. People do anything for money. In the end, I always win."