something's wrong

Twenty Six

Rowan

"Michael, are you still doing the group costume?" I asked as mom drove home. She wanted Michael to stay over, which I figured he would considering he brought a bag.

"Do you want me to?"

"Uh huh,"

"Then I will," he smiled. "I'll have moose dress at the rabbit,"

"I guess that makes Southy the cat," mom chuckled. The two continued to talk about Halloween as I leaned back on the seat, letting my head rest on the glass. The drive wasn't long, but I was exhausted from the day. When mom realized, she quickly wrapped things up at Ashton's and got us moving. I felt a little guilty about making her leave early, but she didn't seem to mind. She might have been tired as well.

"I'm not reading tonight," I declared when their conversation was dying down.

"You don't have to," mom agreed.

"I don't have to read the book at all, I'm at a new school,"

"You don't, but we'll get a new one to start," she said, making me groan. "You gotta get those reading levels up,"

"I'm trying,"

"I know," she started to say as she pulled into the driveway, immediately getting quiet. "Shit," she muttered.

"What?" Michael asked, but she didn't respond. Mom turned off the car quickly and stormed out, heading to the front door. I knew why she was angry now, the door was wide open. Michael got out and I followed his lead.

"Crys," Michael quickly rushed over, making mom turn around to look at me.

"Rowan, stay in the car and lock the door," she demanded. I wanted to argue with her, go with her, but from her tone I decided that was the worst decision. I would make her more stressed and worried, so I got back in the car and locked the door. I should have called the police, but I didn't. I called Aunt Sierra.

"Hey Row Row," she chirped. I could hear Luke, Calum, and Ashton in the background loudly yelling at each other. Before we left we were playing a board game, I assumed they continued to play.

"Something's wrong," I managed to get out before I began to cry.

"Rowan what's wrong?" she quickly questioned, which silenced the argument. "Rowy, I need you to tell me,"

"The door was opened," I stuttered, "mom went in,"

I could hear her telling someone to get their car keys. "Did anyone call the police?" she questioned.

"I don't know," I admitted. "I called you,"

"Ok, I'll have Calum call the police. I'm coming over, ok? Everything will be alright,"

"No it won't, you always say that, everyone does, and it's not,"

"Where are you?" she asked me, changing the topic.

"The car, with the doors locked,"

"Did your mom come out?"

"No,"

"Michael?"

"No,"

"Stay in that car and stay on the phone with me,"

"Please hurry," I begged.

"We are, I promise we'll be there soon,"

a/n: i have a new book up called stay! check it out if you want!

thanks for reading! please vote! :)