16. a near death experience

Waiting for Shane and Otis to come back from the high school with the correct supplies so Hershel could perform Carl's surgery was like torture. Watching Rick and Lori constantly worry if their son can be saved or not was heartbreaking for Katherine, she couldn't imagine what they were going through.

Lucky, they seemed to have angels watching over the Grimes family, Shane returned with all the equipment, Katherine noticed he was alone, Harlow told her another man, the man who shot Carl went with him, but Shane coming back alone makes Katherine feel like he didn't make it.

She didn't know the man, but she knew he must've been loved.

Harlow slept, so why she did that, Katherine sat outside on the porch, chewing her nails, she was so worried for Carl. Not only was he Harlow's friend, he was her friend too. She didn't want her sister to go through the grief of losing another friend. She had to hope Hershel and his people would be able to save Carl Grimes.

The door opened, and Beth came and sat next to Katherine, "Hi" she softly says.

Katherine looks at her, "Hi" she replied.

"You alright?" she asked, "I saw you come out here, thought I should check up on you"

Katherine just nods, "Yeah, I'm fine"

"Is he your brother?' Beth asked.

Katherine shakes her head, "No, he's a friend. My sister is the girl"

"She's nice" Beth told her, "She was so scared though, kept going on about her sister"

"Yeah, it's been hard" Katherine finds herself opening up to Beth, "Our parents didn't make it, so it's just us"

Beth nods, "You seem to have a great group of people though"

Katherine smiles, "Yeah, they're the best"

"You have more people, right? On the highway?" Beth asked.

Katherine nods, "Yeah, there's a few more out there. Dale, Andrea, Carol and Daryl. There's Sophia too, but she's lost at the moment, that's why we were out there. We were looking for her"

"How old is she?" Beth questioned.

"She's 12. I can't imagine what her Mom is going through, if Harlow was missing I'd–" Katherine replies, pausing, unable to form words.

"Lose a part of yourself" Beth finishes.

"Katherine nods, "Exactly. She's all I have. I don't know what I'd do without her"

"I know how you feel, I lost my mother and brother" Beth confesses.

Katherine frowns, "I'm sorry"

Beth simply shrugs, "Don't be, Daddy says everything they'll get better, and everything will all be okay in the end"

Katherine decided to not ask Beth what she meant further, knowing it probably wasn't her place, considering she didn't know any of these people and they wouldn't be staying for long. Which was a shame in Katherine's eyes.

She found Beth really pretty.

⋆ ★ ⋆

Katherine didn't get any sleep that night. Though Carl was okay, thanks to Shane. She just couldn't sleep. She was thankful Harlow managed to get some after the day she endured. She helped the residents of the farm gather rocks for Otis's grave. A grave in which there'd be no body.